1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using Negative Keywords to exclude Locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a campaign for a Music School that I have set the location targetting to be within 15KM of the school location. As the Geographic targetting is not that accurate in Australia I am getting a lot of search queries from the much broader city (Melbourne) and people are not likely to travel that far for the music lessons, so I need to exclude these broad location searches.

I want to put Melbourne in as a Negative keyword so I can exclude my ads from showing to people who search on Guitar Lessons Melbourne, however I still want my ad to show for people who search on Guitar Lessons South Melbourne or Guitar Lessons Melbourne Southeast.

Can this be done? Or would including Melbourne as a Negative Broad Match also exclude the ad for showing for Melbourne South etc? Do I need to use another Negative Match Type?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Using Negative Keywords to exclude Locations

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Have your tried adding melbourne as a excluded location?

To add "melbourne" is not a solution as that will exclude all search queries with melbourne. You need to add specific phrases as negavtive, such as "guitar lessons melbourne city", and you need to add them as phrase matched.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello EliseB,

If there are specific search terms that you don't want to be shown on then I would recommend using negative exact match in your situation. So if you include -[Guitar Lessons Melbourne] then your ad will not show for that particular term but will still show for anyone searching Guitar Lessons South Melbourne or Guitar Lessons Melbourne Southeast. You are correct in saying that the negative broad match has the potential of excluding those terms that you do want your ad to appear on.

The picture in this blog post might clarify the functionality of the different negative match types.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Use the exclusion method in geotargeting.

Roy

ClickMaximus.com

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Have your tried adding melbourne as a excluded location?

To add "melbourne" is not a solution as that will exclude all search queries with melbourne. You need to add specific phrases as negavtive, such as "guitar lessons melbourne city", and you need to add them as phrase matched.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello EliseB,

If there are specific search terms that you don't want to be shown on then I would recommend using negative exact match in your situation. So if you include -[Guitar Lessons Melbourne] then your ad will not show for that particular term but will still show for anyone searching Guitar Lessons South Melbourne or Guitar Lessons Melbourne Southeast. You are correct in saying that the negative broad match has the potential of excluding those terms that you do want your ad to appear on.

The picture in this blog post might clarify the functionality of the different negative match types.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Also set your campaign settings to "People in my targeted location" & "People in my excluded location"

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Tom

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭