4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using Google my Business information to set up Location Extensions

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

With the launch of Google My Business, we wanted to make sure that all advertisers we giving themselves every opportunity to take advantage of its great features. One of these is using your Google My Business information as Location Extensions within Google AdWords.

Jessica, from the AdWords team, is here to make sure we know how to take advantage of this!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Google my Business information to set up Location Extensions

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Community,

Some advertisers are finding that their Google My Business listing was not syncing and appearing within AdWords. To ensure that this does not happen to you, please note the following points:

First, wait 24 hours

If after 24 hours you should be seeing the messaging in your account to change to update the total number of locations that have been successfully synced over. If this doesn't match the number of locations in your Google My Business account, keep reading:

Second, review your Google My Business information…

...and ensure that the fields of information you completed follow these guidelines:

Name - This must contain content and not be left blank

Business Name - This must not be greater than 80 characters

Street Address - This must not be greater than 80 characters

Address Line 1 - This must contain content and not be left blank

Country Code - This must contain content and not be left blank

Service Area - This is set

URL - This must not contain more than 35 characters

Hopefully this post helps you to get your Google My Business Listing synced up to your AdWords Location Extensions. 

Let us know if you have any questions about this or want to know more about Location Extensions!

*Was this post helpful in solving your issue? If so, we'd love to know! Please leave either a comment below, or click the star icon at the top of this post! Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thank you, Kathleen & Jessica.

I have a burning question, albeit a little more complicated. Here's the situation:

- some clients operate more websites (and more Google accounts) using the same business
- that business has only one physical address
- the only difference between the contact information from one website to another is the phone number

In this case, is it possible to link the same Google My Business account to each and every website and AdWords account that the said business is advertising?

If it is, which are the steps to make this setup operational?

Thank you in advance for any pointers you may have.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi @AdWiser - can you clarify the scenario a bit? This client has one business, with one business address, but multiple websites and different phone numbers for each website? And you have an AdWords account for each website?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi, Kathleen.

Yes. One business, with a main business website, address, phone number, etc.

Several websites dealing with different product ranges (e-commerce stores), each with its own AdWords account, all under my MCC.

Each website has its own phone contact number as well (different from the main business phone number), so that when people on a website call, they get to talk with the person responsible for that website.

And I'd really like location extensions to show, as they also have a showroom at the same business location, and people can pick-up their order over there as well, regardless of the website they used for ordering.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi @AdWiser,

What you are suggesting is not the "traditional" way of advertising a business. The whole point of Google My Business (GMB) is to put all areas of a local business in one place to make it easier for customers to get in touch, and to establish a brand presence online. So I am assuming that you have one GMB page for this company?

The upgraded location extensions include a "Call" button, basically merging the Call Extensions and Location Extensions together to make it easier for advertisers. The phone number is pulled from the GMB listing. 

What I would suggest in your situation is one of the two options:

Option 1: Do not include the phone number in the GMB listing but also implement Call Extensions in the Campaigns/Accounts with the correct phone number for that area of the business. You may find that with both Location Extensions and Call Extensions enabled they might not both show at the same time (as with all extensions).

Option 2: Have one phone number for this company, with an IVR allowing customers to select which area of the business they want to talk to. I can understand for a better user experience this might not be the best option, but in terms of AdWords and GMB account management it might be easier to have one phone number.

I hope this helps! Please reply if you have more questions!

Kathleen

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Thank you very much, @KathleenG.

I'll talk to the customer and we'll see what approach we'll use. I do agree our setup is not the most common one, though Smiley Happy.