AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using Adwords because of decent Adsense CPM's.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have a site that has decent traffic for the NJ / NYC area...  And thus result in decent CPM and CPC rates when using Adsense and other online advertising agencies. 

Was just wondering the best route to take if I were to use Adwords to pay for traffic and still keep the CPM and CPC rates up.   Should I keep the traffic targeted towards NJ / NYC ? And what should be the max CPC rate I pay to get traffic to my site....if my general online advertising rates (as a webmaster) are around the $4 to $6 cpm range? 

I'm wondering if 0.02 cpc rates are still possible...but i'm thinking not?  (keep dreaming right?)

generally what is recommended ? 

thanks and I appreciate any advice. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Adwords because of decent Adsense CPM's.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Martin,

Generally speaking, I never understood this logic personally. You're essentially paying for traffic in hopes.of.getting clicks on your AdSense ads.

That said, I would urge you to review Google's AdWords policies regarding Low Value Content. 

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bossman, not sure where your going with 'low value content"... our site is full of unique content updated daily. 

also, not sure why you need to despise the method, when many other webmasters legitimately and legally use the same method.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author martin755685
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Martin,

Anyone who talks about using AdWords to boost AdSense income is talking about arbitrage, a practice heavily frowned upon by Google because typically the sites employing this technique drive web searchers to sites heavy with Ads where the primary purpose of that site is the display of those Ads.  This is not only against the entire ethos of showing relevant and useful Ads, but actually a violation of the AdWords Policies as linked to by Tommy.

If your site truly does contain unique and valuable content, and the Ad density is not excessive or unduly promoted, then you may not fall foul of the AdWords policies, but you'll probably still struggle to achieve profitability by using AdWords to generate AdSense clicks.  The problem is that you cannot guarantee how many times an AdWords click will generate an AdSense click on your site, and if the CPC of the AdWords click is any decent percentage of the average value of an AdSense click, you're very likely to come away at a loss.  AdWords may be able to increase your returning customer base, but returning customers are (generally) less likely to click Ads than new visitors so the long-term increase may not be large.

If such a method of increasing AdSense income were easy/possible, do you not think those of us that are long-term experts in AdWords would be using it and relaxing on a beach somewhere rather than answering these questions?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate the more thought-out response, Gritton. 

Probably the best response ever on the topic. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Martin,

Where I was going was simply to direct you to the proper section on the policy page. It's titled "Low Value Content" and covers, in part the idea of using AdWords to direct users to pages intended solely to gain clicks on other advertisements. I don't despise anything about it, I simply suggested the logic doesn't work out for me, personally...I like to think I have a decent understanding of CPC's and my understanding of Adsense, while not as robust as Adwords, is also decent.

For instance, would you pay even 10 cents for a click that may (or may not) generate a click that only gets you 5 cents in revenue from adsense? Seems like a loosing proposition to me.

Perhaps you can share with me your thoughts on how you think it will work for you and please include some actual figures so we can see the profit.

I really can't add a whole lot to Jon's response...I think he covered it nicely. Smiley Happy

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’