AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using AdWords for b2b (construction work products)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi community members.

I have been approached by a client in the construction business, who whishes to expand into two countries: India and Iran. His company is producing shutter boards and supporting beams. The company has money to invest in AdWords campaigns, yet I am not really shure how to approach an effective campaign for this products and how to leverage AdWords campaigns to target construction buisness companies in the two countries mentioned above, only. 

For startes, I began searching for some consumer and internet related behaviour in these two countries through consumer barometer, but data for Iran and India is not available:

http://www.consumerbarometer.com/#?app=discover&storyId=1

I would really appreciate any advice on which direction to follow regarding adwords: display, searc and or remarketing...Btw, company also has some promo videos of their products on YouTube.

Thank you.

Re: Using AdWords for b2b (construction work products)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I've worked in the construction industry, so I know a little about it. However, in general there are two elements you need for your campaign. Firstly, what problem do their customers have that this company can resolve. Secondly, why are they the company to choose? What one thing makes them the go-to-guys for those customers (anything except being cheaper! even in densely packed markets, this will grab you the best paying clients. OK?)

So someone who needs shuttering and support beams means pouring concrete and the fabric of the building. That also means they'll be looking to arrange contracts well ahead of the planned execution dates. Unless you're just supplying bodies of course - but if they've got videos, they're further up the ladder as it were.

Your campaign needs to be based on who needs to pour concrete. You also need to find them before they've started to plan, which means a GDN campaign. You can use videos there too, by the way. When they're actually looking is the time to use the search network. Keywords like "concrete shuttering contracts" or "shuttering companies" or the like. You could have a phrase match campaign with the keyword "shuttering" and find out who's interested and reverse-engineer it from there.

A video on the landing page will help clarify the issue very well. (plus the rel = 0 so that when it's done, it doesn't show the other related videos on Youtube). You could even try youtube advertising and linkedin advertising.

Does this get you started?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Adding to great suggestions from Gemma,

I have handled a few B2B campaigns and here are my observations

• I am not entirely sure about adwords situation in Iran, from what i know in the past there were some problems with adwords in Iran so please do a bit of research on that part.
  • On B2B campaigns you are going to face very serious competition from aggregators on paid search
  • This basically leads to very high CPC
  • If I was in your place I would start with targetting metros in India for better utilization of you budgets 
  • Along with search I would also think about a strong GDN campaign for construction relatied websites.
  • I would also have a separate campaign for gmail as managed placement this may or may not work but its worth a try.
  • On paid search along with your core keywords i will also look for "problem" keywords as Gemma has already suggested.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's a lot that's already been said here, so I'll try to provide you with some different information.

I would begin by assessing how the business's website is performing in those two countries using an analytics platform of some kind. If there isn't one set up to collect web traffic data, have one set up immediately. From there you can identify what are the most popular search engines in those markets and what organic search terms are being used to access your website. You can use that data to begin developing a strategy for attacking paid search.

On a related note, you'll want to be very careful about your language and targeting settings for your campaigns. The wrong combination of targeting settings can make ads written in Arabic appear on a SERP that's entirely in English or an English ad show up on a SERP that's entirely written in Arabic. Ideally you want to have ads written in the language you are targeting added to the account and you'll want to target your campaigns to the areas that speak that language.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks everyone for your tips and thoughts: they make a lot of sense and I will be sure to pursue some of them.

First off, we will build two product specific landing pages (in English for starters), set up tracking and probably some a-b testing to go along.

I contacted Google support in Ireland and was notified that advertising in Iran is not possible. I was a little surprised though, to have found a couple of Google Ads on Google Farsi search engine.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Damjan, split testing is the key to good adwords performance - it tells you what your customers are thinking. You can't really know this otherwise.

The beauty of it is that they've clicked on a link, they haven't just hummed and haa'd about some vague question on a clipboard (which are notoriously inaccurate anyway).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Great suggestions from members here!

From my experience one of the main challenge would be getting noticed by key decision makers in construction businesses. Since the companies would have local suppliers for these products already with them, they might not be searching for these products online.
A quick search through keyword planner tool might give you a more clear picture.

In that case you have to work on selecting keywords which might not be directly related to your product but still being used by targeted users for searching related products.
One suggestion I think you might find useful for Indian market is to use keywords like "Govt construction tenders".
Other thing you can try image ad extensions or may PLA for your products.

Hope it helps

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Adding to what has been suggested here,

As you are not very much aware of the situation about the data for these two targeted countries, I would suggest to start with a search campaign (initially with a low budget), make sure you have a great mix of both general and precise keywords, and lastly, have a precise landing page for these ads. I suggest you have different landing page for different ads. By having general keywords (to the targeted industry) you may want to increase the buzz, and with precise keywords, you will have potential customers. You may try this for the beginning, and then later shift to the campaign with precise targeting. That's what I think. Thank you

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Damjan,

One of the things that sticks out to me from targeting B2B services and products in the past is the question of whether your target clients search online for these products. Obviously even with money to spend there has to be a market looking for these products online to make it viable. We've had some clients who wanted to throw thousands and thousands of dollars for traffic, but there were only trickles of searches available or VERY high CPAs.

I thought I'd mention this from the view point of setting client expectations, since there is really good AdWords advice from some of the other folks who have posted here. Hope that helps.