star_border

Using Ad Group Sitelinks

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody in the Google AdWords Community,

Hope you're all good!

I was reading an AdWords Wiki earlier called "When advertising gets tough" - this was a good read and has some good points so I recommend to all.

Anyway, what particularly caught my eye was when it says:

"Use "ad group" sitelinks.

Wait. What's that? There's no such thing. You're right. But you get my point. The number of campaigns one can create nowadays has drastically increased. Nothing stops you from creating one campaign instead of one ad group. And you can control both its budget and its theme. You can have one theme per ad group, campaign, and group of sitelinks. All aligned. Sitelinks no longer have to be general, they can be razor sharp as well."

I have thought about doing this is the past but thought better off it with the idea that the accounts would become too difficult to manage. So I'm basically looking for people to share their experiences if they have done this very thing. My questions are:

• When doing this did the account become harder to manage? If so, how much harder?
  • Did the affect in performance justify the change in structure of the account?

Cheers,

Luke

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Ad Group Sitelinks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

NOTE: Generally when I think of Sitelinks, I assume this is the Ad Extention available in AdWords. After reading the posts I feel this was not what was being discussed hence my reason for the following comments. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

I have dealt with quite a number of accounts varying from single Campaigns with very simple structures to accounts that have 80+ campaigns each with 15-20 AdGroups. Managing accounts is a matter of personal preference. 

Depending on the advertising strategy and the website structure will determine your AdWords account structure. For example if you have a plumber based in Leeds, UK and only covers a 10-15 mile radius it would be pointless creating several campaigns and AdGroups. 

The most important thing about any account build is making sure that everything is as relevant as possible which will improve Quality Score.

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

@Luigi - Sorry, I feel you may have misinterpreted my question because I have written it generically.

Basically, I'm looking for advertisers that have tried to build their accounts so that each campaign only has one ad group and therefore you can have ad group specific sitelinks. I have thought about doing this in the past but deemed it as pointless due to the affect I believe it may have on the managablity of the account. I am looking for peoples opinion on weather restructuring the account in order to be able to do this is worthwhile.

My questions for other adverisers that have tried this are:

• When restructuring the account in order to have sitelinks at 'ad group level'  did the account become harder to manage? If so, how much harder?
  • Did the affect this has on the overall performance justify the change in structure of the account?

For those of you that may not have tried it I would still like to hear any opinions or theories? Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Luke

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Luke, 

My apologies for the misunderstanding. Given your requirements I do still feel this is a matter of personal choice on managebility. I have seen accounts run effectively on single AdGroups per Campaign for use with Sitelinks (or other ad extentions) and on the flip-side I have seen accounts struggle with overall performance.

The negatives to this option are as follows:

• Limited budget would result in each campaign having very little daily allowance.
  • If keywords are consistant throughout the account you would see Campaigns competing against each other.

Having dealt with several accounts of this sort I would highly recommend that each Campaign/AdGroup has a different keyword structure to avoid performance issues but I can confirm it does work.

Regards

Luigi

Luigi Raw

Innovation is About Imagination

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Luigi,

Given your advice I think I may give this a go on one of the smaller accounts as a test run. Thank you for your input.

If you're interested in the results please check back in a couple of weeks as I will reveal my findings and opinions from the implementation to help other advertisers out in future.

Cheers,

Luke

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I'm currently testing as well.

To me, it's very important at this point to have very relevant sitelinks as I'm trying to attract a lot of attention to my ads. That means I need them to contain sitelinks as often as possible.

One way to check if you're doing a good job with sitelinks is to segment by click type and see the total number of impressions versus the sitelinks impressions. If you manage to keep them close, you're doing a good job, and that means that your ads are showing with sitelinks almost everytime they show.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

I've not actually tested this in any accounts yet but another good stat to be looking at would be to segment by top vs other to see how many impressions you are getting where sitelinks are even eligible to appear.

If too many of your impressions are being shown on "other" you might want to think about increasing bids to try and get more top impressions where they could appear.

You can customise your columns in the keyword tab and include "estimated top page bid" to help decide which keywords might need attention.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You know, I came to this group for an unrelated topic but I just instituted this myself (3 days ago as a matter of fact) for one of my clients they have a junk removal company. In many ways, I was able to reduce complexity by using sitelinks.

The account was originally set up by another agency and they had, in my opinion, made it simultaneously insufferably complex and poorly set up. In one campaign they'd have separate ad groups for appliances, stoves, refrigerators, and so forth yet the entire campaign (maybe 40 ad groups) used the same 6 or 8 ads.

Now while it is too early for me to report results, I can tell you that I created (among other things) a campaign and ad group specific to appliances where the headline mentions appliance disposal and the sitelinks reference specific appliances. Thus I expect to get the benefit of a simpler, more logical approach, and also of the specificity of sitelinks that mention the exact type of appliance a person may be looking to get rid of by name...not to mention the robustness and physical space taken up by a top ad with sitelinks.

Blog

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Adam, that's exactly what I was after when I did what I wrote in that Wiki article:

- a way to propagate relevance down to sitelinks level (and that's hard when you don't have the same theme across ad groups)

- a way to extend, to detail the ad offering with relevant sitelinks, and get more than 25/35/35 characters for that

- of course, the extra space, the extra visibility

Apparently, it works, as I am getting very nice CTRs and even conversions from clicks on sitelinks themselves (I'm tracking that as well).

Let us know how it goes for you from now on.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@AdWiser being brand spankin' new to the group, and having come up with that idea through observation, I have to say that when I read your post earlier in the thread and saw the reference to "the visual impact" (or however you phrased it). I was pretty pleased with myself. I'm glad to hear your thoughts are the same and that it has turned out favorably.

I'll keep the group posted and check out that wiki. Thanks for the affirmation.