AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Use broad match at first to find new keywords through dimension's search terms?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've seen plenty of people online mention that exact/phrase match is the way to go for adwords campaigns.  Howerver, I was thinking would it be a good method when first starting a campain to use broad match this way you can use dimension's search terms to see what users were searching for when they clicked your ad?  Then take this information and add new exact/phrase keywords based on these search terms?

However, one thing I noticed that kind of backfired my theory above is I took keywords with the most clicks from these search terms, and searched them in "keyword tool" and nothing came up or a really low monthly searches came up.  This didn't make sense to me because I thought these would have been good keywords to target if user's were searching it themselves and clicking on my ads?

Thank you,

olimits7 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Use broad match at first to find new keywords through dimension's search terms?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Yes! Brilliant!

The problem, I believe, is in placing equal emphasis on the keyword tool as the SQ report. The KW tool is great if you don't know where to start. Once you begin advertising on search networks, the search query report is the bread and butter of your keyword analysis.

You are right, the search query report (your potential customers) is right, the keyword tool is wrong. I hardly ever use the keyword tool, for anything other than generating an initial KW list. As soon as I have some SQ data (from actual customers), I use the SQ terms as active keywords. Then, pause or outright delete the KW tool suggestions, that may, or may not be "relavent" to the client's business, or more importantly, their customers.

The search query report is what your customers are telling you what they want. Believe them over the keyword tool. Smiley Happy

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Use broad match at first to find new keywords through dimension's search terms?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply!

I think I will take this approach to starting my campaign out with a majority of broad matches and a select few of exact/phrase matches.  Then as I build up the SQ report; I can start to minimize my broad matches and concentrate on the exact/phrase matches more.

My problem now is deciding on a daily budget to use that would allow me to get some data to be able to fine tune my keywords.  I know if I set a budget too low, I would probably get low impressions and clicks and it will be harder to find what keywords in the SQ report I should target. 

What would be a good daily budget to start with?  And how long should I let it run for before I can get a good base of keywords to analyze from the SQ report?

Thank you, again!

olimits7

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Olimits7,

Just to add to Tom's brilliance...Smiley Happy

You can also make use of your negative KW lists to help keep your broad keywords producing relevant impressions by eliminating non-relevant search terms. 

Your budget should be what you are willing to pay.  I don't know how else to put it.  The budget, depending on your settings, does have a slight impact in overall performance but your CPC's will be more important in determining impressions. 

Generally, you need a decent time frame of stats to work with.  Users behavior is difficult to determine and without history, it can be even more difficult to understand.  If this is your first go around with Adwords, start small and monitor your spend, you can make adjustments to bids and budget as you go, there is no issue with that at all.

Good Luck!

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author olimits7
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

"Your budget should be what you are willing to pay." Exactly! Smiley Happy 

How you determine what you are willing to pay, I believe, should depend on how profitable the advertising is. Having a conversion strategy, and knowing the value of those conversions, is the key to profitability.

Do you have a conversion strategy in place? What do you want users to do once they get to your website? You have to start by generating clicks, now determine which clicks are "good" (profitable) and "bad" (not). Your bids, budget, keywords used and excluded, ad text, and all other factors should (IMO) revolve around profitable conversions. Rather than invest the time into optimizing for clicks, invest some time into implimenting a conversion strategy now, then optimize for conversions over time.

Clicks cost money, conversions make money. Smiley Happy

What's a conversion for your company - Phone calls, contact form completions, etc.?

Tom