Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Upgraded URL's - Queries

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

So I read up a lot on the upgraded URL's, attended the Hangout Session, revisited the hangout video and went through it to completely be sure of how the upgrading needs to be carried out. Now I have a few queries that I hope our experts here or someone who faced the same problem can help me solve.

1. Google Interface or Editor?

What is the general consensus here? I am all for the Editor because then I can do all of the upgrading in one go and I don't have any downtime here.

2. How does the Account/Campaign/Adgroup level template work?

So far, I have used my ad URL's to upload my tracking template for my accounts but initially when I was testing the procedure, I had tested it at the campaign level, I added/applied a template at the campaign level (with custom parameters and everything) but when I tried to add the custom parameter values to the URL's, the interface gave me an error. So my question is, when I add the tracking template at any level, does it trickle down to all levels? i.e. campaign, adgroup and ad level? and if it does get applied at these levels automatically, does it show up in every ad under the URL options?

3. A/B Testing

So this is a tricky one. I tried implementing two ad copies with different URL's as part of my A/B test through the Editor and it wouldn't take more than 1 ad copy variation i.e. just one out of the 2 ad copies (meant for A/B Test) gets imported by the editor and the second one is rejected and is not imported at all. I had to go in through the Interface and do this for each of my campaigns, thereby increasing my over all time to carry out this task. Is there a way I can do this using the Editor ? 

4. Image/Flash Ads

What is the easiest and fastest means of making changes to all my image or flash ads in my account? Usually we use the file path while uploading new ads in the account but what if the original files are lost or not have been passed on from the earlier account manager? Is there any way (like the text ads) I can replicate the image ads without having to upload them again and upgrade them?

I am sure a lot more questions are going to crop up on this and I will post them as and when. In the meanwhile, I would love to hear from you guys on these points. 

@AdWordsPMLeo - You were fantastic on the Hangout session, I would appreciate it if you could help me out here.

@KathleenG@Mini-CM - Please chip in if you can. Smiley Happy

@Ratan-Jha - Your post was very informative, would love to hear your views here too.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Upgraded URL's - Queries

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @ShashankSingh,

All great questions Smiley Happy . Let me take them one by one - 

1. Browser or Editor?

I have worked with both Editor and Browser Interfaces, but my personal favourite is Browser, specifically for Upgraded URLs. During my research and trial phase with Upgraded URLs, I worked more with Browser Interface... may be that's the reason. A personal preference I would say. 

2. How does the Account/Campaign/Adgroup level template work?

When you use a Shared Tracking Template at the higher level in the hierarchy, all the lower level follow the same template. However, if you have a template also at the lower level, the lowest level would be picked by the system.

For instance, if you have three separate templates at Account Level, Campaign level and Ad level, the ad level will be used by the system.

Does it show up in Tracking Template field automatically? 

No, it won't show up but would be applied to the final landing page URL. The best part, you can test it. Suppose you have a Tracking Template at Campaign Level, your Ad level Tracking Template would be empty. But when you hit the 'test' button, you will see the actual URL of your lading page (Final URL + Tracking Info).

3. Do you get any error? I will need to test it though. 

4. If I could understand you well, image ads as well can be replicated. Simply copy and paste them from one adgroup to another. However, the replicated Ads will go through review process. 

Does it help?

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Ratan,

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it!

As for the query no. 2, 3 & 4, here is some clarity.

2. So what happened here was that, I followed the instructions as shown on the Hangout video. I am using the interface to do this so basically I am downloading the template i.e. the spreadsheet then editing it to make it upload ready. Since I was testing various methods here, I added the tracking template once using the spreadsheet it self and then for another campaign I added the tracking template through the settings tab at the campaign level. During my 2nd attempt, I wanted to add custom variables to the campaign URL tracking so I did so by using the spreadsheet again. Note; Like in the video, I had added the custom parameter template in the settings tab before I tried updating the same. 

When I tried updating the custom parameter values, I was prompted with an error. I do not exactly remember the error but it basically told me that the desired action was not possible and it had something to do with the Custom Variables. Some clarity here would be great!

3. The Editor gave me an error here not the interface. I had to go in through the interface to add my 2nd set of ads for the A/B test. Anything on the Editor that can help me add same ads with different URL's for an A/B test.

4. With the Image ads, my issues is that, Suppose I want to add custom variables for upto the ad group level or suppose if I have manually hard coded the parameters and just want to add the same into the tracking template as it is. E.g. - {lpurl}?utm_campaign=abcd&utm_adgroup=abcd2.

Now since the adgroup will differ for the full set of image ads even if I were to duplicate the ads, I will have to go into each adgroup, add the tracking template or atleast the custom parameters to each ads in the adgroups.Is there a faster way to do this? through the interface or the Editor?

Now for some more questions: Smiley Tongue

5. Final URL for DSA

When we create the campaigns, we do not know the final destination of the landing page. What do we put in the Final URL section in this case?

6. Custom Parameters

Only 3 valid custom parameters in our URLs? What if we need to add more?

I tried adding more than 3 custom parameters and the editor itself gave me an error. I am guessing I will have to combine the elements of my parameters in one custom variables if I have more than 3 custom parameters.

If you have any info here, it would be great to know.

7. Keyword level URLs template

Can’t find this anywhere including the Keywords tab. The Hangout video said that it should be available at the keyword as well as Sitelink level but that is not the case. This is the scenario for the same account I have done the Upgrades at the ad level. 

Need an excel template for this.

Do I just add the required columns in the spreadsheet that I can download from the Keywords tab and then try and upload it for my keywords? Haven't tried this methods, some clarity here would be great.

8. 3rd Party

If we are using a 3rd party tool which uses a redirect – like Doubleclick/kenshoo/Marin -  we generally give the guys there a mapping sheet of the URL+ tagging, which they use to encrypt and push the data into the URL which becomes our Tracking URL.

The question here is what do I put as my Final URL? Only the domain of our site or the 'URL+tagging'

Hope to hear from you soon on this.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@ShashankSingh Hello Again,

2. There can be various reasons for this error. To be honest, it won't be possible to advise without knowing the exact message that was shown.

3. I have just uploaded two Ads with separate Final URLs, don't find any any problem. Were you using destination URLs?

4. Shashank, if you want to track the name of each ad group, you can use an adgroup level custom parameter, and can change it on individual ad group. You won't need to use a tracking template at ad level in this case, neither do you need to update tracking at each ad.

For instance - if your tracking template is {lpurl}?utm_campaign=abcd&utm_adgroup=abcd2, create two custom parameters, one for campaign and ad group names e.g. {_camp} and {_adg}

Your Tracking would be {lpurl}?utm_campaign={_camp}&utm_adgroup={_adg}

Use this at Campaign Level and create custom parameter {_camp} at campaign level. Set the value as your campaign name.

Now go to individual ad group and add the custom parameter {_adg}. Set the value as your adgroup name.

Your ad level tracking template would be empty and all your ads would inherit the tracking template set at campaign level. The custom parameter would also populate values dynamically.

You can also use ValueTrack like {campaignid} and {adgroupid} in place of those two custom parameters to identify your campaigns and adgroups.

5. Dynamic Search Ads and Shopping ads do not have Final URLs. Simply use your tracking.

6. Adding more than 3 custom parameters are not possible at the moment. Though, I don't think if you would require more than 3. There are several ValueTrack, you may use them.

7. You can Customize Columns and enable Tracking Template at Keyword Level. It should be under Attributes.

8. I don't have much experience with DoubleClick Upgraded URLs. Haven't used it for a few months now. Though, have applied for a client. Waiting to hear from the Sales Team. Can't help much on this , at least at the moment.

Meanwhile, you can read it here http://doubleclickadvertisers.blogspot.in/2015/06/adwords-upgraded-urls-in-doubleclick-search.html

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi @ShashankSingh,

Great questions - hopefully this information will help:

1. Google Interface or Editor?

Both methods are effective: The AdWords interface uses Bulk Sheets which moves Destination URL to either final URL, or/and tracking template. For AdWords Editor; support for Upgraded URLs is available in AdWords Editor version 11.1. Editor does support bulk changes rather quickly.

2. How does the Account/Campaign/Adgroup level template work?

The Account level/Campaign level/Ad group level template is useful if the tracking is common to the entire Account/Campaign or Ad group respectively. This eliminates the need to update individual URLs each time there are updates to the destination URLs or tracking. Secondly, setting up URL options at the ad-group, campaign, or account level means that you can update your tracking info without resubmitting your ads for approval.

The Account /Campaign/Ad group level tracking template is appended to the landing page URL at the time of ad serving as it is inherited.

Shared Tracking Template can be set at the Account, Campaign Ad Group levels, and extends to the rest of the hierarchy (unless there is a lower level tracking level set).

Any edits made to the shared tracking template WILL NOT retrigger policy review and reset ad stats.

Local Tracking Template can be set at the Keyword, Sitelink, Ad levels, and trumps higher level tracking templates.

Any edits made to the local tracking template WILL retrigger policy review, and edits made to the ad level tracking template will reset ad stats.

Trumping Rules: As with final URLs, a tracking template specified at a lower level entity will override the setting specified at a higher level entity, e.g., a tracking template at the campaign level overrides the setting at the account level.

3. A/B Testing :

You can submit multiple final URL values using the API or using bulk sheets. Multiple final URL setup is only possible via API or bulk upload using semi-colon separated list "http://url1.com;http://url2.com". The first final URL will show in the field in the UI with a little bubble that you can mouse over.

4. Image/Flash Ads

You can edit the display URL and final URL without uploading image file. 

You export the file with images make changes in the data.csv, then import the csv file back to the account.

Screen Shot 2015-07-03 at 13.57.58.png

I hope this helps! Thanks @Ratan-Jha for your great help!

Kathleen

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Thanks for the help on this Ratan & Kathleen.

@Kathleen

Regarding Points 3 & 4:

You can upload multiple Final URL's using the editor by just entering random text in the Destination URL of one of the ad copies and the editor treats it as a different Ad copy thereby allowing you to upload it in the same adgroup. It's a temporary fix till the developers come with a way to do this properly using the editor. Smiley Happy

The Image and Flash Ads bit is something of great help here. Since me and my team waited till the last day to upgrade our URL's, we had no choice but to look for all our original image files to do the upgrade.

Nevertheless, appreciate the help here guys!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,