AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Unwanted Location Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with a keyword which is targeting a location that I don't want it to target. The keyword is [used cars sales].

The campaign that the keyword is located in is targeting Manchester(UK) and no where else. The keyword is working fine and is appearing in Manchester, which is what I want.

However, when using Ad Preview and Diagnosis it comes up with this "Because your query included location terms, ads matching this location are shown: Sao Paulo, Brazil"

When looking in Google Maps I can see that there is a place called 'Sales' in Sao Paulo. 

As you can tell I don't really want to be advertising there, so is there a way to stop this from happening? Is it even correct that it should be showing me this information?

I have tried excluding 'Sao Paulo' from my targeted locations but it still appears.

Does anybody know of a way to stop this, or is this just a bug in the system?

Thanks

Mark

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unwanted Location Keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mark,

Have you reviewed your advanced location options at all? If you only want your ads shown to folks within your geo-targeted locations, you may want to choose the Target: "People in your targeted location" option.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

One option is that you can use advanced location settings and try targeting your ads to the users who are actually located in your area i.e. the physical location.

I think that currently your location settings is targeting both type of users i.e. ones those are physically located there and those who shows interest in your location. So in that case, if somebody is outside Manchester but is showing interest in your location, chances are that your ad might appear based on that.

Read more here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply's guys,

That is something I should have originally mentioned.

The option for target in the advanced location options does state 'People in my targeted locations' and has been so for a very long time.

Thanks,

Mark

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

As far as I remember, there was an update last year October where improvements were made to location targeting for international searches. However that was applicable for default location option or location of interest option:  http://adwords.blogspot.in/2013/10/improvements-to-location-targeting-for.html

How many clicks are you getting from outside area as you mentioned in the post and how frequently are those clicks happening?

Also, did you try changing the way you are targeting your location. I mean radius targeting or other options.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the reply, Looking at the stats there doesn't seem to be any clicks coming from outside the region that I want, and definitely nothing in Brazil.

I'm not too worried about this at the moment, but its something I will keep my eye on and see if it changes.

Thanks

Mark

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner
Great advice from Pankaj and PPCBossman,

MarKADZ, you mentioned that you didn't receive any clicks from Brazil which is good. When using the Ad preview and Diagnostic tool you have the option to change the "Geo targeted location" in which the Preview Tool is referencing. (Edit Location- in pop-up by Place Name or Coordinates)

To ease your Mind, change the Location in the preview, to any desired location to physically see if your ads are appearing in those location.

I know with some of my accounts, the "default" preview sometimes isn't exactly the location in which I want it to show and have to manually Edit / Adjust the location in the pop-up preview.

Try that and let us know.

Hope that helps.