Guide Me
star_border

Unwanted Cities ,blocking returning visitors and 3 columns in reports

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

I have detected some new problems and I have not found an answer yet searching the forum :

1) Although I restricted my clicks for a campaign for 1 city I received 3 out of 160 clicks in one week from different cities which are very far away 200-400 km. Does this mean I have to add a few cities in my Exclude list aswell ? I know about the "Search radius" and I have not changed it from default value.

Although it is a statistically insignificant value 3 out of 160, if a client asks why this happend i would not know what to answer . It is a "search " only campaign without "google partners"

2) I have some competition on a couple of keywords and I suspect they click on my ads. The visits are 0 seconds ( no clicks on 2 pages ) and returning visits. I looked at how many days it has passed from last visit and it is different for every keyword. I also checked the network but only in 2 cases there was mentioned a website of competition which I was able to add in the "IP exclude list". Is there a way to block ads for every visitor who has once clicked an ad in let's say "the last 90 days" ?

3) Is there a way to see 3 columns in analytics reports , like network and screen resolution of a visitor and browser version ? This would be useful to send an email complaint to report users who repeatedly click on ads from the same computer.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Unwanted Cities ,blocking returning visitors and 3 columns in repo

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Adrian,

3 out of 160 is statistically very low value since you are targeting locally.

I am not exactly sure how you have set the location settings in your campaigns and whether you are using the Advanced settings (like people in your target location, people searching for pages related to your target location etc...).

See this reference for more details on how you can further restrict your target region settings: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?ctx=tltp

Additionally, there are different ways on how Google would detect the user location. It could be IP address, the location of interest query, google domain etc...You can find the details here:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?hl=en

I would also like to add here that sometimes the ISP located in one region might assign a IP to the user's machine which is from some different location. This could be a possibility. So in that case, it might conflict with the way ad is shown to the users.

If your account is linked with Analytics, you can look for the Browser & OS details and Network details under Technology section in Audiences Tab. You need to select Advanced segment as Paid Search Traffic to get details of paid traffic.

I hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Adrian,

3 out of 160 is statistically very low value since you are targeting locally.

I am not exactly sure how you have set the location settings in your campaigns and whether you are using the Advanced settings (like people in your target location, people searching for pages related to your target location etc...).

See this reference for more details on how you can further restrict your target region settings: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?ctx=tltp

Additionally, there are different ways on how Google would detect the user location. It could be IP address, the location of interest query, google domain etc...You can find the details here:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?hl=en

I would also like to add here that sometimes the ISP located in one region might assign a IP to the user's machine which is from some different location. This could be a possibility. So in that case, it might conflict with the way ad is shown to the users.

If your account is linked with Analytics, you can look for the Browser & OS details and Network details under Technology section in Audiences Tab. You need to select Advanced segment as Paid Search Traffic to get details of paid traffic.

I hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrain,

You should exclude the cities searching from other regions. You should use show ads only in selected regions and exclude the one who are in different regions that can be set in the campaign settings.

I am not much confident about how to block the ads for repeating visitors but you can use frequency capping feature of adwords to avoid the ads for same user.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a "display network" campaign and 2 search campaigns. They are all targeted to 1 location, without exclusions.

At least from your answer I learned about frequency capping, and I changed that on the "display network" campaign to 1 visit per week per campaign.

So bottom line is that google is not able to determine 100% a location and it has a 1-2 % error rate.

Looking forward to some clues on the other issues about blocking returning visitors on "Search only " campaigns and more than a secondary column in reports.