Guide Me
star_border

Unusually Low Quality Score Confusion

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I manage about 100 different accounts for my company. We sell our product through dealers across the country, and have built websites and PPC Campaigns for them. The websites and PPC campaigns are all the same. The only difference is the name of the business and the locations. Most of my accounts are performing where I'd like them to, and a few are under-performing. For my two main keywords, which are Phrase-Matched, the lowest Quality Scores they receive are 5/10 and 3/10 respectively. That's still too low, but that's on one or two accounts that I'm working on. The majority are marked 7/10. The words are all over my landing page and it is in the headline of my Ad as well as the description, and often in the display url. I have one account that while using the same website, ad copy, and keywords, is receiving a 3/10 and a 1/10 on my two main keywords. I've contacted Google support a number of times and keep getting fed the same "It's ad relevance or landing page relevance." None of them can seem to explain why all my other accounts are fine and this one is not. I can't figure out what is causing this discrepancy, and Google keeps making me feel like a crazy person for insisting that Ad Relevance and Landing Page Experience can't be the issue.  I'm hoping someone in the community can offer better help. Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unusually Low Quality Score Confusion

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Well... It sounds that the keywords have different CTR is different locations, hence the difference  in QS.

One point to note:  assuming  that  "The words are all over my landing page and it is in the headline of my Ad as well as the description, and often in the display url."  would establish relevance, is a misconception / myth.

Google bots are much smarter and can establish contextual targeting based of full sentences.  Write  your content to a human  - not to a machine!.

Having said that, the major component of QS is CTR - work on improving the QS (match types, Ad-copies, Negative keywords... All the known techniques)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi DEALERS M, I'm with Moshe on this one.  The primary factor for QS is CTR and it's not unusual to see CTR vary across a wide geographical region.  You don't say which country you're targeting, or the nature of your products, but there is a huge difference in demographics and lifestyle in different parts of the US so it's probably the case that you need to think more about tailoring the Ads more regionally.

As Moshe also said, "relevance" is a lot more than Keyword stuffing.  Relevance also refers to how closely your Keywords match the search terms, and to how closely the search terms within a Group match each other, for example.

Landing page load time is also a small factor in QS so it's possible if your website(s) are overweight that you're seeing variations based upon local access speeds.

Have you been able to identify any common theme to where QS is higher and lower, e.g. is it higher in urban areas or lower on the West coast, etc.?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Dealers,
If you want to improve QS of your main keywords, 1st you need to improve CTR of your main keywords is one very important factor for improving QS of any keywords. Here i explained you how to improve CTR:
#1 The primary element of Quality Score is CTR (Click-Through-Rate) so normally the quickest way to improve QS is to improve the CTR of the Keywords. To do this will usually mean a combination of using negative Keywords and improving your Ad text to make the Ads more attractive. Increasing Ad Position can also help as Ads in higher positions tend to attract a higher CTR.

#2 There's no way an Ad from one Campaign can show for Keywords in another so the most likely thing happening here is that you have Keywords in the fourth Campaign that could also match Keywords in the first Campaign and in fact it's the Keyword in the first Campaign that's matching the search query.

For example, if you had:
+buy +flowers +online in the fourth Campaign and
"flowers online" in the first
a search for "buy red roses flower online" could match either Keyword

Try to avoid this things & use proper negative keywords in each campaigns for improve QS.
Thanks,
Jitender

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for replying! I added a couple of ads to test out since I last posted this. It did help my QS quite a bit. I still can't figure out why only this account was having issues, but it seems to be resolved now. Thank you!.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Dealers,
I think your ads looking fine, but QS not only depend adcopies as explained earlier. So now try to improve your CTR & work on your Landing page.