1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Unrelated Ads Show Up When Searching

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a multi-line motorcycle dealership, and while researching our AdWords ads, I have found several times that unrelated ads are showing up for my search terms.

For instance:

If I search "CBR1000" (exact match in my "Honda Sport Bike" AdGroup),

I might see an ad for a Suzuki Boulevard (exact in my "Suzuki Cruisers" AdGroup).

Any advice on what might be going on here.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author cjKPS
December 2015

Re: Unrelated Ads Show Up When Searching

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds like you need to cross-reference your negative keywords if you do not want the wrong ad groups triggering your ads. You can do this by doing the following.

1. Download a csv of your keywords for each Ad Group. eg. AdGroup 1
  2. When you create Ad Group 2, use AdGroup 1 CSV as your negatives
  3. When you create Ad Group 3, use AdGroup 2 & 3 as your negatives 

Continue this method across all groups and you will never see a keyword in the wrong place again.

Don't forget, this only works on phrase match and exact match campaigns.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey cjKPS, how are things?

This could be happening if you have keyword on other match types like phrase and specially broad. If you do have, the important thing here is to use negative keywords on both groups.

Negative keywords prevent your ads to show for keywords you don't want to. This page covers everything you need to know about it:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972

Now, if you only have Exact Match type, maybe there's one keyword duplicated and present on both ad groups. You should check for that also.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi cjKPS
Your search for CBR1000 is triggering an ad for Suzuki Boulevard possibly because you are using broad match keywords which can trigger any ads for synonyms, singular or plural forms of keywords. You may check your keywords and structure them in ad-groups in such a way that they do not clash- i.e. by using different match types and negative keywords at adgroup level.

More here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Hope that helps

Thanks
Ajay
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author cjKPS
December 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It sounds like you need to cross-reference your negative keywords if you do not want the wrong ad groups triggering your ads. You can do this by doing the following.

1. Download a csv of your keywords for each Ad Group. eg. AdGroup 1
  2. When you create Ad Group 2, use AdGroup 1 CSV as your negatives
  3. When you create Ad Group 3, use AdGroup 2 & 3 as your negatives 

Continue this method across all groups and you will never see a keyword in the wrong place again.

Don't forget, this only works on phrase match and exact match campaigns.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
In case you are using somewhat related keywords in various ad-groups then I would like to add that the steps suggested by Bryan C should be implemented with slight care as using all keywords from an ad-group as negative in another ad-group may end up blocking relevant keywords in ad-group 2.

As an example, if one of the phrase match keywords in ad-group 1 is "sports bikes" and you have a keyword like "sports bikes 2015" in ad-group 2, then using "sports bikes" as a negative in ad-group 2 will end up blocking "sports bikes 2015".

In case of exact match keywords, the above can be conveniently ignored.

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Correct Ajay, common sense is always needed when dealing with negative keywords. Google will always show you what was blocked by a negative keyword so be sure to check the list.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @cjKPS I think it's unlikely that even a broad match is going to expand to encompass such a difference in terms, so I don't think that's the cause.

To be honest, I tend to look for the simplest solution first and the simplest I can think of is that you've inadvertently included a Suzuki Ad in your Honda Group.  If you're absolutely certain this isn't the case, then we'd need to look further.

I'd look at your Search Details report to see if this is a common occurrence.  If it happens, this report should give you a reason why.  If nothing shows up there then I suspect we're looking at something particular to your searches.  It could be (if you do have some broad matches somewhere) that you're seeing Session based Ads, (though again, I think this is unlikely).

Have you used the Ad Preview tool?  If not, try looking at the results there for your search terms.  The Ad preview tool is useful because it'll tell you which Keyword and Group matched the term, so can help in diagnosis, and also using this tool doesn't adversely affect your live stats and other settings within Google.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits