Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Universal App Campaign Messing Up Again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I had posted earlier and was recommended some ppc company links, i called upon adwords tech support here in india...

I told them that i have wasted almost $2000 or 1.23 lakh INR , and got 6-7 conversions, yes 7-8 app installs for $2000....

They said i can set up an Universal App Campaign and it works great... So i set another campaign ...

Here is what is happening now, the adwords people have once again started charging me for clicks giving me 0 installs so far ....

If the adwords clearly says that it will charge "CPA" cost per action, why i am being charged for clicks again ...

What can i do , should i speak to tech support again ...

I cannot afford such massive wastage again and again ...

Also as the figures are very clean , can i get refunds as i was not given installs and charged for clicks only ...

Also in end in universal App campaign i cannot make much changes to "Targeting" , its "taken care" or better  "not taken care: by Adwords...

Bishu

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bishu P
September 2016

Re: Universal App Campaign Messing Up Again

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bishu P

Feels like you are misunderstanding a basic concept with regard to automated bidding strategies. The help page says:

***   About bidding in universal app campaigns   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7100895

"For universal app campaigns, you'll set a bid for app installs. This is called the target cost-per-install — how much you're willing to pay for a new user for your app. In other parts of AdWords, this is referred to as "Target CPA", or target cost-per-acquisition. It works the same way, but an "acquisition" in your universal app campaign is an install or first-open of your app." 

And this is a description of the target CPA automated bidding strategy. Specifically "with Target CPA, AdWords uses a target cost-per-acquisition (CPA) that you enter, and automatically set bids to help get as many conversions as possible. Some conversions may cost more or less than your target CPA."

Now focus should be on "may". In fact this word means that it "may" or "may not"; hence anything might happen.

Based on the above, it's just an intention at Google's side to deliver you clicks and installs costing around the CPA value you entered. It works often times, but sometimes it does not. Either way, you have to pay for the clicks you accrued. The description refrains from making promises in regard to the number of conversions or their costs. In case you only wish to pay for installs, you are advised to rather join an affiliate network as a merchant; there are plenty of them out there on the net and under their business model you don't have to pay for clicks or visits.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Lakatos - well i now know why they say "Devil is in detail" , but really very misleading and bad on part of google , i use them for trust not such double meaning conditions, any way if only i had known this before wasting $2200

Bishu

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Bishu,

I am really sorry for what happened. Actually I'd never encourage anyone to spend money on ads before taking the AdWords Fundamentals exam.

Best,
Lakatos