Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Unequal rotation, even when set to 50/50%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to split test my ads, and to do this I have left only 2 ads in each campaign, and assigned equal traffic to these. After days of waiting for the ads to actually receive 50% traffic each (and Google Support insisting that only a little patience was needed), I can't figure out why my ads are not receiving equal traffic.

I assigned equal traffic to my ads in all my campaigns. In some campaigns, I have noticed that while not 50/50, the percentage of traffic received by each ad is similar. In others, however, there is a massive mismatch. Has anyone been experiencing the same problems? Is there anything I can do to get equal traffic to my ads?

Jordan

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jordan,

Is this a display campaign with image ads? Are you looking at a proper date range after you set the rotation to even? Are you using any bid modifiers? Are you using any automatic bid strategies?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

>>"With the rotate evenly and rotate indefinitely options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks, Moshe!

So what would you recommend, to get the best split test possible?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I don't think there any setting that can result in  a uniform   even rotation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I see. In that case, how are ads generally split tested? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

A test (as part of AdWords experiment) is a different  tool and settings than a campaign rotation.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So you mean ad rotation is not actually used for split testing at all - experiments are always used instead?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Corret; with ad rotation you will not be able to reach a uniformity of 50/ 50 (test and control) required for a reliable statistical test.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, that's very helpful. So do you generally only have 1 ad in your ad group, plus the ad in the experiment?