Guide Me
star_border

Understanding quality score affect on ad rank and subsequently impression share

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All, 

There is one thing I don't seem to understand very well, or at all. 

I have an account with very bad impression share. My top and best keywords with the highest QS are doing well and having a good impression share on their own. But now to the thing that I don't seem to be abel to figure out.

I have several keywords with very low QS, do they negatively affect my ad rank and subsequently impression share for the ad as a whole when they are not being used as search words by visitors?

Lets say a visitor makes a search for X, which is one of my highest QS keywords with good impression share. Does all my very low QS keywords, lets call them Y, affect the potential impression share of that particular search for the same ad? What I am trying to figure out is if bad keywords Y affect the impression share of the Ad when the visitor is searching using a keyword X (high QS). 

If I paused or deleted all the X keywords (low QS) would that mean that my QS for all the good keywords Y, would go up, or the ad rank for the ad it self go up?

Im not sure I made myself clear here. But hopefully some kind soul understands me and is willing to answer me. 

Thanks for all your answers. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Understanding quality score affect on ad rank and subsequently impression share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
QS is a keyword level metric, and calculated per keyword. The predominant component of QS is the CTR - calculated per keyword,
However, the overall account performance has a small contribution to the CTR. So if you have other KWs with impressions, but with no clicks - I would remove those.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Understanding quality score affect on ad rank and subsequently impression share

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Daniel D, the answer to all your questions is basically "No, it doesn't work like that." I think you're really confused about what impression share is. And what AdRank is. And what Quality Score is.

Keyword Impression Share is the percentage of searches that matching keyword, which you served an ad on. It's not an abstract number. It's actual performance.

High QS doesn't guarantee high share. You still have to bid competitively, and have enough budget to pay for all the clicks. If impression share is lower than you want, the first things to think about are raising your bids and budget. The other keywords are the last thing to worry about.

Deleting low QS keywords won't magically improve QS for other keywords. QS just doens't work like that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I am having similar problems as Daniel. And in my case I have very high bids and enough budget. Never runs out. Still my search lost to IS rank is 82%. What can I do to improve it.

Like Daniel I also have lots of keywords with very low QS and as far as I understand it QS is one of the factors. Also i can mention that my average clickthrough rate on the ads are above 2.5% which I am ok with.

So does there bad keywords with very low QS affect the overall search exposure I am getting?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Danne O;

What is your exact match IS? - This is a better indication of performance   ( it doesn't include in the denominator the broad match combinations)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My exact match IS is 42%.

What can you tell of that, given my situation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually my situation is similar to yours Danne.

So back to my initial question does the low QS keywords under the same adgroup drag down the impression share?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Daniel D

Daniel D wrote:
Actually my situation is similar to yours Danne.

So back to my initial question does the low QS keywords under the same adgroup drag down the impression share?

Thanks

Yes. The formula is: "all impressions divided by the number of all possible actions in which the ad could participate". If due to a low QS your ad-rank is low, and the ad does not win a slot in the auction, it is counted as zero impression (in an eligible auction).  Meaning:  the denominator adds one eligible  auction, while  the numerator  adds zero impression. Hence, the ratio decreases.