AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding how QS works across multiple pages of a site.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have QSs around 3 and 4 for keywords like "DWI attorney" and [dwi attorneys]

this is the landing page
russmanlaw.com/drunk-driving.html

and this is the home page. russmanlaw.com The home page is highly relevant and the landing page is designed for opt in.

So the question is about how the landing page and the home page work together. If the home page is relevant, then wouldnt the landing page inherit some of that? Why is my QS so low?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Understanding how QS works across multiple pages of a site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You mentioned these are low volume keywords but since the Google Keyword Tool tells me there are 201,000 searches for [dwi attorney] per month, the problem is probably that you are bidding too low to get many impressions. When you don't have many impressions, the quality score system may have a hard time giving you a solid quality score because it's not able to learn whether its predictions are correct for your account. Try bidding up to be on the first page of results for a day or two. The additional impressions (and hopefully clicks) will teach the quality score system that your ad may be deserving of something better than a 3 or 4 out of 10.

If you can't afford to bid up on this particular term, try finding some cheaper keywords for your account and use those to build up a few 1,000 impressions in a couple days. At least that will teach the system that you're an advertiser who chooses relevant keywords and that will make it a bit easier to get better results on the pricier keywords.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

As for the low search volume keywords not much you can do about those and if they also have poor QS you may want to pause them for now and reevaluate them later.

There are just some keywords that dont seem to do well with AdWords and I have audited several attorney accounts and they often suffer from low quality score.  I think that it is becuase other advertisers have done poorly with these keywords and when they are included in the account they come up poor almost immediately due to the poor history.  Once they are in your account you can work to improve the QS by optimizing the account, building relevance, and improving the CTR but it can take a very long time to see the visible QS shift because these accounts are often local and take on a fairly small amount of traffic as it is.  When that is compounded by low QS it can cause an account to move even more slowly (especially on the lower QS keywords).  Just make sure that DUI/DWI Keywords are in a group with DWI/DUI ad text and use that relevant landing page.  Keep reviewing your search terms report and cleaning up - adding negatives and new keywords where appropriate and if you identify new keywords.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi oneano,

Need to know a little more.  Go to some of the keywords with low QS and mouse over the status bubble to get the diagnostics to pop up.  Is any specific category referenced as poor?

What is the CTR like on those keywords?

As for the landing page it looks relevant - and no the homepage would not having much bearing on the landing page IMO.  It is the landing page that has bearing on the landing page's QS Smiley Happy

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Quality score 4/10 Keyword relevance: No problems Landing page quality: No problems Landing page load time: No problems

Quality score 3/10 Keyword relevance: Poor Landing page quality: No problems Landing page load time: No problems

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Did the QS recently fall or always been more or less "poor"?

How is the Click Through Rates for the last 30 days on these Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the CTR like on those keywords?

These are low search volume keywords, some only have a dozen impressions over the last year. The only real performer in the group has a CTR of 4.26% with a total of around 50 impressions. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The landing page component of quality score is predominantly at the domain level so it's a factor of how all the landing pages used by your site are perceived. If your homepage is also used as a landing page in your account, then that will also contribute its landing page score to the overall score.

I checked out your landing page and at first glance, it seems highly relevant to the keywords you selected. Have you made sure to check whether you do in fact have an issue with landing page quality.

Here's where you would check if your landing page score is okay or not:

In the majority of cases where quality score is a problem, it's due to having a lower clickthrough rate than what Google thinks you should be able to get.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to this account, so I am not sure about the QS over time. . . .is that a metric that I can view? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You mentioned these are low volume keywords but since the Google Keyword Tool tells me there are 201,000 searches for [dwi attorney] per month, the problem is probably that you are bidding too low to get many impressions. When you don't have many impressions, the quality score system may have a hard time giving you a solid quality score because it's not able to learn whether its predictions are correct for your account. Try bidding up to be on the first page of results for a day or two. The additional impressions (and hopefully clicks) will teach the quality score system that your ad may be deserving of something better than a 3 or 4 out of 10.

If you can't afford to bid up on this particular term, try finding some cheaper keywords for your account and use those to build up a few 1,000 impressions in a couple days. At least that will teach the system that you're an advertiser who chooses relevant keywords and that will make it a bit easier to get better results on the pricier keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

As for the low search volume keywords not much you can do about those and if they also have poor QS you may want to pause them for now and reevaluate them later.

There are just some keywords that dont seem to do well with AdWords and I have audited several attorney accounts and they often suffer from low quality score.  I think that it is becuase other advertisers have done poorly with these keywords and when they are included in the account they come up poor almost immediately due to the poor history.  Once they are in your account you can work to improve the QS by optimizing the account, building relevance, and improving the CTR but it can take a very long time to see the visible QS shift because these accounts are often local and take on a fairly small amount of traffic as it is.  When that is compounded by low QS it can cause an account to move even more slowly (especially on the lower QS keywords).  Just make sure that DUI/DWI Keywords are in a group with DWI/DUI ad text and use that relevant landing page.  Keep reviewing your search terms report and cleaning up - adding negatives and new keywords where appropriate and if you identify new keywords.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

oneano - was it [dwi attorney] that had a low seach volume?  like @Frederick said that search term has huge volume.