1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ultimate Adwords Structure

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
At work (a touroperator), we're busy restructuring our accounts. We have A LOT of campaigns, ad groups and keywords, which we cannot manage manually. This makes it necessary to create an efficient account structure. This made me wonder:

What does your ultimate adwords structure looks like?

I'm not talking about the basics of structuring an account (e.g. mirroring your website and creating different campaigns for different product categories). I'm really looking for ADVANCED tips, like ordering and naming your campaigns and ad groups in a way that enables you to work as efficiently as possible and make optimal use of filters, etc.

I'm looking forward to your ideas :-)
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ultimate Adwords Structure

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi SanneB, great question, and welcome to the Community.  I won't try to cover everything so I'll just pick two elements I particularly encourage people to use:

Naming conventions.  I think the naming of Campaigns and Groups is vitally important in even simple Accounts, let alone large ones.  A consistent and logical naming structure can make it a lot easier to make sense of displayed data and structure in the interface, the Editor and in Analytics.  My typical naming structure is as follows:  I start with a Campaign type indicator which helps to sort them conveniently, I use S for Search, D for the GDN, R for Remarketing and so on.  I then add an indicator for my company and me personally, which identifies the Campaign as having been built and maintained by me - this may not be relevant if you are running your own Account - so typically one of "my" Campaigns might begin:

S_cob_jhg_

I would then usually have an indicator for the Time Zone for the Campaign, since most of my client Accounts cross several Zones, so for the US I would use "PTZ" (Pacific Time Zone), "MTZ" (Mountain), "CTZ" (Central) and "ETZ" (Eastern).  I then end the name with identifiers for the product group and perhaps a specific sub-group or pupose.  So a typical name, if I were running a shoe store and sold running shoes might be:

S_cob_jhg_PTZ_sports_running

Note that I use the underscore character even though AdWords will accept spaces.  I do this as it can prevent problems if the data ever needs to be exported in a raw text format where spaces might confuse the data.

For Ad Groups, I tend to use a shortened version of the Campaign, followed by a specific product so a Group within the above Campaign might be:

SPTZ_SR_Nike

(I don't usually bother with my company/personal identifier for Groups since the naming format itself makes it obvious who's Campaign it is and, of course, it can always be tracked back to a Campaign).

My second recommendation would be Labels.  Labels are really useful for organising Accounts and for making large (or even fairly small) scale operations easier.  Not only can you filter the interface by label - so for example I could label my running shoes Campaigns as "Shoes - Running" or similar and choose to show only the Campaigns for running shoes - but you can also use Labels as targets for Automated Rules so I can choose to have a rule that runs only on Campaigns, Groups or Keywords with specific labels.  I really like to use Rules this way as it makes it very easy to add new structure that should have existing rules applied to it; rather than having to adjust the rule itself to include the new content, I can just apply a label to that content and the running rule will automatically be applied.

Hope this kicks off the discussion!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Ultimate Adwords Structure

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon,

Thanks for sharing. This is the type of information I'm looking for!

Right now we're building a template for naming our campaigns and ad groups, that looks a lot like yours. So it's good to hear that this is working for you. We didn't think about using underscores, that's a good tip.

I share your opinion about (automatic) labelling, I'm also a big fan of this :-)