Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

UK Target options

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone, 

I am trying to run a campaign in North London but I encountered the following problem: 

I don`t see the options to target by zipcodes( the feature that i was about to use since there isn'i North London by itself). If  i cannot target by zipcodes how to choose North London for my camapign?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: UK Target options

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Nora (thanks Moshe)...

Unfortunately, I can't bring good news.  As has already been said, geo-targeting in the UK does not include postcodes and targeting by IP address is less than perfect, and that's being very kind.  You could target by radius, as suggested by stickleback but London is such a nightmare of comms you'd be very unlikely to get any reliable results.  AdWords routinely thinks I'm in Leeds and I'm 50 miles north of there...

In your situation I'd probably target a reasonably wide area using a radius, to give a kind of "absolute limit", then further define that by using location based Keywords and some very specific Ad copy to reduce irrelevant clicks, backed up by what will probably end up a quite extensive list of negative Keywords (and you could start with all the SE/SW/W/E London boroughs/postcodes).  Depending upon your business it may be worthwhile trying to pick out some "pinpoint" targets within N London to run as their own Campaigns, probably in this case just using location based Keywords - you'd need to examine some fairly lengthy data from Analytics to see if you can see any such hotspots.  For example, if you could see a strong trend in Islington you could have a Campaign that just uses Keywords that all include Islington or maybe N5.  Again though, I'd ensure any such target Campaign had an "overall" target of London to make sure you don't pick up irrelevant terms.

When you start to have multiple Campaigns like this you'll want to look at how/if your Campaigns will compete with each other.  They may not if the Keywords are distinct, but if they do you'll want to prevent that.

What's the business?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Targeting by zip code is available in the US;

Also keep in mind that  Geo targeting in Europe is not perfect (due to  "slow investment" to upgrade "aging" telecom infrastructure)

Are are the targetting options (by region levels ) available in every country (The UK is listed under GB)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoXclFw9v2cWdEtuZUJPY1dhR0RmQ2tvZkxPeVMxT1E#gid=0

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you very much, Moshe.

I cannot find suitable options to target North London, maybe the best one
is to target just the city of London. I cannot see the boroughs or other
resgions in North London,

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again NoraA;

You are correct;

I think the solution in this case would be to target by intent. (Including the neighborhood name in the keyword)

I will ask Jon (aks Cobnut), one of our UK-based Top Contributors, to join and comment. He should have good ideas for targeting regions within London's metropolis.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Nora,

You can also use radius targeting - not as accurate as you might like, but you can add a number of smaller circles to cover the approximate area you want to reach...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Nora (thanks Moshe)...

Unfortunately, I can't bring good news.  As has already been said, geo-targeting in the UK does not include postcodes and targeting by IP address is less than perfect, and that's being very kind.  You could target by radius, as suggested by stickleback but London is such a nightmare of comms you'd be very unlikely to get any reliable results.  AdWords routinely thinks I'm in Leeds and I'm 50 miles north of there...

In your situation I'd probably target a reasonably wide area using a radius, to give a kind of "absolute limit", then further define that by using location based Keywords and some very specific Ad copy to reduce irrelevant clicks, backed up by what will probably end up a quite extensive list of negative Keywords (and you could start with all the SE/SW/W/E London boroughs/postcodes).  Depending upon your business it may be worthwhile trying to pick out some "pinpoint" targets within N London to run as their own Campaigns, probably in this case just using location based Keywords - you'd need to examine some fairly lengthy data from Analytics to see if you can see any such hotspots.  For example, if you could see a strong trend in Islington you could have a Campaign that just uses Keywords that all include Islington or maybe N5.  Again though, I'd ensure any such target Campaign had an "overall" target of London to make sure you don't pick up irrelevant terms.

When you start to have multiple Campaigns like this you'll want to look at how/if your Campaigns will compete with each other.  They may not if the Keywords are distinct, but if they do you'll want to prevent that.

What's the business?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits