2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Two ads for the same keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to actually appear twice for the same keyword. For example, we're advertising for two different international internships sessions (two different dates). 

E.g. if someone searches for international internships I want two different ads to appear:

Summer Internships? 

July 1 - Aug 31, $500 + airfare

More info here. 

website.com

Winter Internships? 

Nov. 1 - Dec 31, $500 + airfare

More info here. 

website.com

Question is, can this happen if I set up two separate campaigns? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Two ads for the same keyword

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope.
Google prevents advertisers for showing up 2x with the same ad format for the same keyword. The only exception to this in search results is if you are running text search ads and shopping search ads, where one or many of your product ads can show in the same auction results as a standard text ads.

See these articles for information on what AdWords calls "gaining an unfair advantage"
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Perhaps you want to think of a different approach - if someone is searching for "winter" internships, show them the winter ad, if someone is searching for "summer" internships show them the summer ad, if someone is searching for "internships" without summer or winter, you may want to have an ad that says:

International Internship
Summer or Winter, $500 + Airfare
More info here.
website.com

Even if you have 2 different accounts, this can be a very serious issue.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
How would you feel if competitor set up 10 different AdWords accounts and then bid stupidly high bids on all the same keywords you want to bid on, to guarantee that his ads appeared in all 10 paid ad slots?

Wouldn't be fair... so Google protect us all by making sure that only one ad - the most relevant - form each account can appear for any single serach.

And they come down very hard (and rightly so) on anyone who tries to game the system by setting up two accounts basically offering the same thing.

you need to think about how to structure your ads and your keywords to try and increase the likelihood of people looking for winter internships seeing your winter ads and those lloking for summer internships your summer ads.

Rosie's suggestions are spot on. you are also likely to find that there is a time window some time ahead of the summer and winter periods where people are most actively looking. Move the "internships" keyword into the most appropriate campaign for that period.. but as Rosie suggests, a more generic ad for a more generic search - and don't forget the more generic landing page with options to select the winter or summer options - is probably going to work as well as anything.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Digital M,

I just want to add that Google also shows only one ad per top-level domain.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
My 2 cents:

Write an overall ad copy about your events:

Put sitelinks for event 1 and 2