AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to understand negative keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read several posts, but I'm still not sure about how to setup negative keywords for my campaign. I researched Search Terms and want to remove the following "phrase matches":

houston pets dogs & puppies

houston pets birds

The search terms I do want is anything with...

houston pet grooming

houston dog grooming

houston cat grooming

So, I'm concerned about how to add these negative keywords. Should I add them like this...

"houston pets dogs & puppies" or [houston pets dogs & puppies]

"houston pets birds" or [houston pets birds]

Any help would be appreciated. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Whit W
September 2015

Re: Trying to understand negative keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Whit,

If you were to add "houston pets dogs & puppies" as a negative keyword then you run the risk of excluding search terms such as "houston pets dogs & puppies grooming" for example. While it's unlikely anyone is going to search on that term you can still see there is a risk of blocking potentially relevant traffic.

I'd personally suggest excluding these specific terms at a negative [exact] match level, this way you will only prevent your ads showing on those exact terms. If you don't deal with birds then you can afford to include it as a negative broad match as this will then prevent all bird related terms from triggering your ads.

Hopefully that explains it but feel free to keep the questions coming if you need more clarification.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Whit W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Whit,

If you were to add "houston pets dogs & puppies" as a negative keyword then you run the risk of excluding search terms such as "houston pets dogs & puppies grooming" for example. While it's unlikely anyone is going to search on that term you can still see there is a risk of blocking potentially relevant traffic.

I'd personally suggest excluding these specific terms at a negative [exact] match level, this way you will only prevent your ads showing on those exact terms. If you don't deal with birds then you can afford to include it as a negative broad match as this will then prevent all bird related terms from triggering your ads.

Hopefully that explains it but feel free to keep the questions coming if you need more clarification.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Whit,

Spot on advice by Scott! What is the keyword in your campaign that is triggering search terms houston pets dogs & puppies, houston pets birds?

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the advice!