AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to get away from broad match. Having problems.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a computer repair business in a city. And im trying to use ad words to get people to visit my site and call me.

For the last  few months I had been running an adwords campaign using hundreds of keywords like "computer repair <city>" and "<city> computer repair". I was getting hundreds of impressions per day and everything was running swell. These were all set to broad so in retrospect i think sine may have been competing with each other? Either way, i felt i should try to get away from broad match and use exact match to improve my quality score.

But now that im actually trying to do it, im running into many problems. For one, volume. There isn't an enormous amount of people in my city searching for repair, so i need to capture as many of them as i can. For this reason i need to create many exact match keywords which are all basically variations of "computer repair <city>" "repair computer <city>" "<city> repair computer" "<city> computer repair"...and so on. Hundreds.

Each one of these gets anywhere from 0-10 impressions per day, even though im bidding enough to be in the top 3 on top of the page.

It feels like Broad matching all my keywords was more successful simply because it was able to display my ads on all thousands of possible variations of my targeted keywords. Variations that i don't know because analytics data won't tell me the keywords, it just says "(not set)". All my stuff is linked.

TL;DR: Want to improve quality score by moving away from Broad Match and go to Exact Match. Now that im using Exact Match im getting little to no impressions on my keywords even though I'm bidding enough. Broad match seemes to have covered more keywords than i can, and i don't know what those keywords are because analytics won't tell me.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to get away from broad match. Having problems.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also i don't want to use broad match, because if the keywords it tries to display my ads on are anything like what the keyword tool shows me, many are completely irrelevant. Like "jobs repairing computers <city>". Decreases my CTR and thus QS.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mikeads,

Unfortunately, there is no easy route to take here. 

One option would be that you could re-gain some of your impression share while tightening up your keywords by using phrase and modified broad match.  Your location targeting should cover your city terms but if you are getting good results from them, then using them is probably a good idea.  Reviewing your search terms reports and developing a strong negative kw list is also imperative.  Jobs for instance could be a great candidate for your negative kw list.

Does this make any sense?

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes it does make sense. For some reason i never thought of using negative keywords in combination with broad matching to filter out the bad ones. Thanks! I might do this instead of using Exact.

Another question i have, how do i know if two different keywords are not overlapping if they are set to broad match? From what i understand google incorporates synonyms into broad so how can i be sure that "PC repair" and "Computer repair" aren't both competing against each other for the same search query?

If i use broad It would be absolutely invaluable for me to be able to know which search queries my ads are appearing for, and the statitstics behind each one. Is there any way for me to be able to get this information?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mikeads,

I would still include "pc repair" and "computer repair" in your ad groups.  Being broad match they could have some level of overlap but this will not hurt you in the same way as competing with competitors keywords, the best performing kw from your account will be the one that triggers your ad.  If over time, you see that one variation just isn't getting clicks, then you can pause/delete it.

You can read more about what happens when multiple keywords match for a single search query here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2756257

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi mikeads, 

A report in your account that might help you with your query could be the 'Search Terms Report'. This will show you the exact terms that people have typed into Google when they saw your ads and clicked on them. This could be useful if you are using broad match as it will let you know which broad match expansions your ads have triggered for.

Hope this helps!

A.