AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Truly Duplicate KWs - what impact do they have?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I sell products - lots of them have the same title - they each have their own detail page.

This has led to duplicate KWs  (same match type, same targeting, same account) e.g. [Buy Book X], [Buy Book X] - each would resolve to a different landing page, each would have the same bid level.

I'm wondering what effects having duplicate KWs has on an Account.

I know that AdWords will determine which KW causes an Ad Impression by looking at targeting, bid, QS etc.

The question is - does having a large number of duplicates have an effect on an account - if so what effect?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Truly Duplicate KWs - what impact do they have?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ,

Duplicate keywords will have the same QS, therefore you can prioritise their display only by changing the MaxCPC values. If you keep the same values , I think the system will split the impression share between them. If you have different values, chances are that the keyword that you bid on the most will win most of the auctions.

If you keep them in separate campaigns, the budgeting will make the difference if they acquire impressions. For example the duplicate keyword in the campaign with the lowest budget will receive less daily impressions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Adrian - so I can have control which shows by amending bid/budget - understood.

Will having a large number of duplicates have a negative Account wide impact do you think?

Suppose my fears are a) bidding against myself so pushing up the Actual CPC and b) restriction of service ie AdWords seeing a large number of duplicates as an indicator of a low quality/poorly structured account

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

About a) bidding against myself so pushing up the Actual CPC

When you decide different MaxCPC for 2 duplicate keywords found in different ad groups or different campaigns, you are not bidding against your self, you are allowing the keyword with the bigest MaxCPC to aquire all the impressions ( if the location targeting is the same everywhere )

There are also exceptions regarding Geographical targeting. If your duplicate keywords are put in campaigns that have different geo targeting they will never compete, but if the geo targeting overlaps there is this exception :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

(click on "Use a keyword from a campaign with the most specific geographical location targeting)

If you have multiple campaigns with keywords that similarly match the search term, the system will prefer to use the keyword from a campaign that uses more specific location targeting.

Example

Let's say someone within New York City searches for the term plumber. Now, let's say the keyword plumber is included in both your campaign targeting the New York City metropolitan area and your campaign targeting the entire United States. The system will prefer to use the keyword from the campaign targeting the New York City metropolitan area because that campaign uses more specific location targeting.

There is also this exception to look at :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

(click on "There is an excessive number of identical keywords" )

If an account contains an excessive number of instances of the same keyword (think well more than dozens of identical instances), automated systems will pare down the number of matching keywords. Then, we'll apply the preferences discussed above. For example, if you have 5,000 instances of the keyword plumber tool in your account, the system will pare down the number of keywords. Then, we'll use the set of preferences described above.

About the concern with relevancy, the exact match is the most relevant of all matches. You will have no relevancy problems unless the Ads have a low CTR, this can drag the QS down.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What motivated you to use so many duplicate keywords in different ad groups or campaigns ? What profitable outcome is from this decision ?

Do you know you can remove them through Adwords editor ?

I would suggest using singular and plural exact matches instead of using the option "close variants" because sometimes plural keywords perform better.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
What motivated you to use so many duplicate keywords in different ad groups or campaigns ? - Ad Group for each product I sell - Some products have exactly the same name

Do you know you can remove them through Adwords editor ? - Yes but before I do so I want to establish if they are having a negative impact

Thanks for the suggestion on using plurals - I do use several modifiers including plurals on my KWs

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello there;

I disagree with Adrian on this;

Duplicate keywords will compete among themselves. Which keyword  will trigger the ad,  depends on a number of factors, mainly   the ad-rank  OR the match type (the more restrictive match type will trigger the ad).

The result is that you can find yourself with the wrong ad triggered  by the same keyword; Thus, it would be better to avoid  duplicate keywords.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

From his example , two exact match keywords, they will have the same QS, only his bid MaxCPC value will make the difference ( if the location targeting is the same ).

Also there is no match type difference since they are duplicate.

However what I would do to avoid duplicates is to create phrase match keywords including the author's name or some other factor that may be searched and differentiates the two items with identical names.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Moshe - I have seen duplicate KWs with differing QS meaning a different Ad Rank - by having the Keywords in place I am happy to have any of the Ads show for the search term.

To Explain this - if I have 10 products called 'Book A' and I have an Ad Group for each of them. A user then searches on Google on the search term [Buy Book A], I would be happy for an Ad from any of the 10 Ad Groups to display (until I have tested Conversion Rate of each landing page).

So a lack of complete control over which Ad serves wouldn't necessarily dissuade me from having duplicates.

Are there any other negative impacts you are aware of?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Adrian - I already have Author Campaigns separately and I start by using all matchtypes with varying bids for all Keywords.

I suppose what I am after is any negative impacts that could complete this quote - "If you have a lot of (truly) duplicate keywords in your Account then AdWords will........."