AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Transitioning Off of Conversion Optimizer?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone tried to transition off of conversion optimizer by using the target CPA flexible bid strategy?

I was thinking about trying to set the target CPA at the same level it is now in CO within the highest traffic ad groups, and then turn the campaign on to manual CPC. In theory, I would think performance should stay about the same, but I know transitioning off of CO can be tricky. Has anyone tried this or have any recommendations on the best way to transition off of conversion optimizer with the least amount of performance decrease as possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alyson H
December 2015

Re: Transitioning Off of Conversion Optimizer?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'd phase this in if you're concerned about wild swings.
We've transitioned off before and just bit the bullet and switched to manual CPC straight away. We just increased the bids on the converting terms and decreased on the non converting terms. Across the entire board, our CPA dropped significantly and volume wasn't impacted. Since then, we don't use conversion optimizer. It's only really useful in extremely high volume converting campaigns.

The flexible bidding strategy version is basically just a slightly more automated version of the manual way.

There's no real accepted standard way to come off CO but doing it on a phased basis (as long as you're not super high volume) should be OK. I haven't tried "weaning off" using FBS though.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
"It's only really useful in extremely high volume converting campaigns. "

How big volumes (monthly) to your experience @Dave_Davis

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your input. This client isn't that high volume, and every little seasonal change in performance is impacting the campaigns using conversion optimizer in a big way, so I definitely want to stop using it. I think phasing it out campaign by campaign will be the way to go.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
David, I'm looking at campaigns with a typical volume of conversions in the 50-100 per day minimum.

Alyson, I think that's the way to go. To be honest, if you have time to watch the campaigns on a day to day basis, I think you'll find it easy to beat CO. With enhanced CPC and some manual monitoring, I've been able to completely destroy the best CPA from CO in nearly all cases. Not using any advanced methods either.

Please let us know how you get on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay. That´s a lot of conversions you require.
I´ve run campaigns (both display and search) with substantially less conversion volumes (50+ per month) using the conversion optimizer (even ROAS-bidding) succesfully. Sure, it has to be judged for each specific case/campaign, but from my experience are not required in general.