2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Transitioning Campaigns From CPA to CPC Bidding

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We just took on a client that has been using CPA bidding for most of their campaigns.  I want to switch these to manual CPC bidding so that I have much greater control over performance, and so that we can fully utilize our bid-management software.

I've never switched a campaign from CPA to CPC bidding.  Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping performance steady during this transition?  My main problem is that I will have no idea what to set the keyword-level bids at to keep performance steady, let alone improve the CPL.

My plan of action at this time is to start slow.  I will start by switching one campaign from CPA to CPC.  To determine bid-levels I will probably start with a bid that is a couple dollars above the current CPC for each individual keyword.  Hopefully I will see good results from this, but since I will only be doing one campaign at a time I am hoping to avoid any sharp drop in performance overall.

I have already reached out to Google through the chat feature, and the guy I spoke with seemed like he had never been asked this question, and said there was no documentation of best practices for switching from CPA to CPC.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transitioning Campaigns From CPA to CPC Bidding - campaign experiment

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello BigDaddyBooth;

Have you considered first (before switching) to run a campaign experiment, testing the performance of CPA vs. CPC;

It does require some learning on campaign experiments settings, however, I am sure that's your best approach, if you want a quantitative analysis of your question;

Read more:

About Campaign Experiments

[Edited] I am reading now the documentation, and it looks that this option (CPA vs CPC) is not available in campaign experiment

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I read through the "read more" link provided, and it doesn't look like I can use ACE since I would essentially have to change the bid-type at the campaign level.  Unless you know that this is an exception?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

BigDaddyBooth;

You are right; I just edited my answer (after re-reading the documentation). I'll need to check further on that. It could be that this type of experiment is not available, as you said, because of the different bid types.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

One thing I would make sure to do befire making any changes would be to take an archive of the account using AdWords Editor.

As Moshe suggested, it's better to see if you can work out how the CPA would compare to CPC bidding. I've had mixed results with CPA but generally they have been on the positive side and I then optimise the account using AdGoup level bids and make changes to the keywords (adding or removing).

One thing to bear in mind is that when you first enable conversion optimiser I find it takes up to 3 weeks for it to gain the additional conversion information to be able to do its job better. So, if you do turn it off and find it was performing better and you switch it back on, it may takle a while for it to come back to where it is now.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Since campaign experiment seems not to be an option when testing CPA vs CPC , another option would be to pause the current campaign, open another one with CPA,  and then compare results over a period of time. ( Keeping in mind, as purefuzz said, that it takes 2-3 to gain conversion data).

Re: Transitioning Campaigns From CPA to CPC Bidding - campaign experim

M M
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7

Re: Transitioning Campaigns From CPA to CPC Bidding

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Let me chime in and say that Moshe's idea of running a test before shutting down (or altering) a CPA campaign is a very good idea.

CPA campaigns can produce unmatched results in terms of acquisition volume/price, but they do it by consolidating traffic around a comparatively small body of keywords.If it were me, I'd run a test with some high-probability keywords that aren't producing/performing well in the CPA campaign(s). I'd set up a separate CPC campaign with those keywords to see if they would produce traffic and conversions, given a chance. 

As long as the client's current CPA campaign(s) are producing the desired results at a good cost, I wouldn't shut them down just to use a different management program, though. I would guess that it's highly unlikely that you could duplicate the results of the CPA campaign in the short-term. 

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*