AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Transferring site means low quality scores?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello I had ads with a quality score of 10 out of 10. As soon as ive changed the dstination url to my new site our quality score has droped to half. I feel that my new pages are more optmised and etc please see my example. 

http://www.bathroomsupastore.com/shower-bath-seal.html

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Transferring site means low quality scores?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dave, at least part of the calculation of Quality Score is historical data so when you edit your Ads you'll lose that and have to start again (Ads are never really edited, what actually happens is that the original Ad is deleted and a new one created).  However, I'm a little surprised that the score dropped to half.  

How much data have you gathered with these new Ads so far (i.e. clicks, impressions, etc.)?  If you've not received any/many clicks yet you may find the score returns to "normal" fairly rapidly once you do.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yeah not many clicks so far. Its a bit emmbarising you launch a new site and your scores drop and your boss says wheres the sales. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi RedDave88,

There is a trick to changing domain names while trying to maintain ad rank. Part of the QS comes from the display domain, so when you change the display domain name, you will unavoidably lose QS when changing over. There is not much you can do about that, but you can mitigate it a bit.

Part of the QS comes from the landing page. When you change the destination URL to the new domain, you lose all your "juice". Google does not know it is a new version of your older page. If you "301 redirect" the old landing pages to the new ones, the landing page retains some of it's juice, so QS qon't drop as dramatically. From the sounds of it, it may be too late to do this now.

Part of the QS comes from the keywords. That will primarily come from your own account history, and some will come from keywords performance across all accounts. The more impressions you accrue, the more weight performance in your own account will get.

If you have not "301 redirect"-ed all pages from your old domain to the new domain, you will want to do that if it is at all possible, even if equivalent pages do not exist on the new site. This will transfer the organic PageRank from your old site to the new one. Also, open a Webmaster Tools account and put in a change of address if you have not already done so.

Do all these things and it won't take long for your QS to recover.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RedDave88
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As we've said Dave, I'd expect the QS to recover pretty rapidly (assuming your new site isn't a disaster!!).  However, in the short term you could just increase your Max CPC.  The effect low QS has on Ads is only really in the CPC so if it's dropped to 5/10, all you need do is double your CPC and you'll be bidding into the same position you were before.  As your QS improves you can reduce the CPC again and/or it'll reduce naturally.

If you've already done this and sales are still down, then it may actually be there's a problem with the new site.  What does Analytics say about Bounce Rates, time on site, pages/visit, etc.  How do they compare to the previous site?  Have your organic visits remained unchanged (or improved) or have these gone down as well?

I have to say, having looked over your site, that I think there may be some problems there.  Firstly I'd like to see a "More details.." link for each product - you may think it's obvious you click to see them, but it's not.  Secondly, I'd like to see a "Buy Now" button on the list level (i.e. when showing all products).  These two issues are linked (and could be solved in one sweep) as at the moment I think many of your customers could be seeing the category page and not knowing how to buy or see more details.  Sounds silly, I know, it's obvious, but trust me, even tiny changes to things like this can have a big effect.

J

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for that J. I will put these forward to my team. We are using Magento and find it quite challenging so we will see how it goes Smiley Tongue 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Dave, "challenging", like that Smiley Happy

I do think there's a market somewhere for a really good ecommerce product that actually understands the basics of website optimisation and the use of Adwords/Analytics, etc.  I ranted about this in a blog the other day.

Most of these things can be hacked to some extent...

Jon