1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Traffic from irrelevant locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been using adwords for about a week and I'm starting to get really frustrated with my traffic analytics.

I have my location targeted to the Chicago metro area for my photography studio. Obviously location is super important in this scenario.

After a few days I looked at my traffic analytics and saw a large number of results from India, Canada, Spain, etc. When I dug into it it looked like the display network was posting my ad willy nilly on a bunch of sites that didn't make any sense for my business. 

I turned off the display network and went to search only and I'm still getting weird traffic - mostly from India. I haven't had a single conversion even though I've been thorough with keywords and negative keywords and tried to optimize my location. 

Before I cancel my campaign can anyone help me with this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Richard, 

That's a common issue, 

You should adjust the location options (advanced) of your campaign (it's in the settings tab). Set target to people in your location (by default, it's 

Hope that helpsSmiley Happy

Regards,
Eva

Re: Traffic from irrelevant locations

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Richard W,

Sorry to hear you're frustrated! Another suggestion on top of what @Eva said is to exclude the areas you do not want traffic from. 

123.png4.pngexcluding.png

This will also help prevent your ads from being shown anywhere you do not wish them to. 

I hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! 

I guess maybe I'm confused. If is set my target area to Chicago metro, shouldn't the ad only come up when someone searches "photo studio" in Chicago? And not Bangalore? 

My display network ads were popping up on sites like southindiafashion and Canadian wedding sites after I had already narrowed my campaign area. Do I really need to go through and exclude every country, city, and county even though I specifically tailored my ad to the Chicago area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I will try that, thank you. 

Could this be why my ad was showing up in weird places on the display network too? 

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 6
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Yes, location settings are pretty much same across all networksSmiley Happy

Regards,
Eva

Re: Traffic from irrelevant locations

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Richard W,

That depends what you're targeting and the categories. If it's set to remarketing then that means that your ads will follow people around after they visited or searched for photo studios. Meaning your ad will show on other sites. It also depends on whether you chose Target & Bid or Bid Only - this link goes to another forum question about target & bid vs bid only.

I found it a little overwhelming at first but there are lots of support pages and people on this forum to help answer any questions and you will get the hang of it!

Also, if you go to your display campaign then select the 'Display Network' tab > then the 'Placements' tab, you can select specific sites and exclude them:

exclusions.png

You can also scroll to the bottom of the same page and select the +Options button under 'Site Category Options' & can choose to exclude anything from the list that you're taken to.

I hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Richard W,

Ads are shown based on the user's location, not the website location. This is true for both display and search networks. With the default location settings targeting Chicago, anyone anywhere searching for "photo studio in Chicago" could trigger your ad to show. Changing the setting to "people in my target area"  will stop that behavior.

Did you set your campaign to target English language only? That will stop your ads from showing on sites with other than English language.

You don't need to exclude every area outside your target are if you do this. If, on the other hand, you want to show your ads to anyone in the US who searches for "photo studio in Chicago" to see your ad, but not anyone outside of the country, then leave search intent on and exclude the rest of the world.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords