AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Total confusion re: bidding

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am in a rather highly competitive legal marketing, paying through the nose with poor results. I have been on the phone with adwords support continuously, getting a new tweak each time that proves unsuccessful.

So I had determined to divorce adwords, and called one last time for any ideas. The guy had me add an "estimate top page bid" column. We went through each keyword, changing the Max CPC value to that of the Estimate top page bid" value. The difference was dramatic, so this seemed exciting, while I wondered why in hell adwords was letting me pay $25 a click when I could have been paying $4.04! But now when I work through the ad preview tool I see none of my keywords are showing! Could not get through to adwords help, and could not stand their dreadful on-hold howdown music! So cohfused.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

The legal industry is stupid ridiculous expensive in regards to search advertising. Smiley Happy Of course, there's far more to AdWords than just keyword targeted search advertising.

Try running a display only campaign with a daily budget you can afford to experiment with for at least 90 days. Assuming you have analytics setup, pour over the data and try to get a better idea of your target market. Perhaps you can then use that information to further refine any search campaigns, and with a more highly targeted audience those expensive clicks may actually be worth the costs in the long run.

Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Stanley, 

I am sorry you have had a negative experience. The legal industry is very expensive, i have worked on it in the past. You should consider how much you are going to make rather than the price of the CPC. 

regards,

zaby

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Stanley - we all hate a high CPC! You have a few options:

1) Do as much keyword research as you can and find low competition keywords with a lower CPC and bid on those

2) Separate your keywords into single or tightly knit adgroups for a better quality score (QS) to get a lower CPC

3) Steadily increase your bids until you can see yourself in the ad preview tool

4) Try other campaigns not just search (display, remarketing etc)

5) Top of bid column is just an estimate, every impressions to every ad auction is unique - check your impression share

6) Bid on keywords with the highest possible returns so that you can pay for them more easily

Don't give up ... this stuff is hard

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

It is frustrating... in the very early days of Adwords when you got clicks for pennies nobody worried so much about waste.... but now - and particularly in certain verticals - the cpc are so high that you cannot afford to have an ounce of fat on your campaigns.

The legal vertical is one such jungle.

So you need to make sure there is as little wastage as possible. Tighten everything up. Your keywords (match type especially), your keyword themes (be really strict with yourself - just because a particular word is part of two keywords doesn't mean they are the same), your ad copy, your geo targeting, your scheduling, etc, etc..... the list goes on.

Recognise that every click is going to cost you the same as a good bottle of wine and decide which clicks are worth it - there won't be that many. Then determine how to make sure that these are the only ones you get.

And remember, your landing page and conversion process is key. If, for example, you can improve the conversion rate through testing different landing pages, you simply make more money without any additional investment in AdWords and then this quickly becomes a virtuous circle with more conversions upon which to optimise your campaigns and so on.