4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Topics vs. Audience

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It seems that there are Topics and Audiences you can bid on...

I don't reaaaallly understand what these are and what the differences are between them.

I know audiences are used for remarketing which I understand but what about audiences independent of remarketing?  

I heard somewhere I can bid on stuff if someone else search a keyword I choose, even if they don't click on my ad.  Is this true?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Hello again Tat, :)   Topics, audiences (including remark...

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello again Tat, Smiley Happy

Topics, audiences (including remarketing and interest categories), keywords, and placements are all methods of targeting your ads to users on the display network. Display is different from search, in that: You are not targeting a user because of what they searched for, you are targeting a user based on the content of the page they are viewing. You don't have to use keywords to allow an ad to show on the display network, you could use topics, audiences, or placements instead of, or with keywords.

Yes, topics are, essentially pre-determined audineces. (Which makes sense, because interest categories are actually in the audiences tab, and are considered part of audience targeting, but topics have their own tab. It would make sense to incorporate topics as part of the audiences tab, and may actually help make more sense out of display targeting in general.) Thinking about topic, remarketing, and interest targeting as audience targeting is the way I think about it too. Smiley Happy

"I heard somewhere I can bid on stuff if someone else search a keyword I choose, even if they don't click on my ad." When it comes to search networks, this is essentially called "session based" targeting. When you look at the search terms report, you may see impressions and clicks appear in the match type column as "broad - session based". This (as I intepret it) means that a user was "re-targeted" dring a search session, even if the keyword they entered as the SQ would not otherwise qualify to show an ad.

If this is my suggestion of remarketing (from the other thread) that you are referring to, I think I may have given the wrong impression of remarketing, and misunderstood the question. My bad. Smiley Happy You cannot remarket to someone who saw an ad (impression), or searched for a keyword (search query). You can only remarket via the display network, to someone who is a memeber of your remarketing list (another aspect of the audiences tab). A user gets placed on the list by visiting your website, then having a cookie attached to their browser. A user has to get to your site somehow, to then be shown ads on the display network, as part of targeting a remarketing list, as an audience.

BTW, if you want to ask follow up questions on other threads, please do! You don't have to start another thread to ask another question. Smiley Happy It's part of the overall topic, discussed on the proper placement, which represents an interest category, that the audience is engaged in, using keywords very specific to an overall contextual theme. Smiley Happy 

Tom

It's a little bit confusing

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello again TatM;

It is confusing somewhat , and one can easily mix the two.

To make it simple to understand, consider topics as the subjects/ issues, while audience as people.

Audiences are people (persons) having in interest in topics.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Oh great, thanks for the help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Oh great, thanks for the help!

"I heard somewhere I can bid on stuff if someone else sea...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

"I heard somewhere I can bid on stuff if someone else search a keyword I choose, even if they don't click on my ad.  Is this true?"

I may be wrong but are you referring to CPM bidding or "cost per thousand impressions bidding"?  This would be where you pay a certain dollar amount for each 1000 impressions you receive.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=116451

maybe I am wrong, if I am at least it is something intersting to read Smiley Happy

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Re: Hello again Tat, :) Topics, audiences (including remark...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for disambiguating both terms Moshe.