1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Top vs Other

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can't explain how greatful I am for these forums (and some specific users who keep answering my questions).

Looking through my data, I segmented Top vs Other. Almost all of my clicks come from top. I guess that tells me I need to bid high enough to stay in top 3.

Next question. Is there any way to look at data from more specific ad position (e.g. 1 vs 2 vs 3)? Conversions and CTR?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Top vs Other

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

If you link AdWords and Analytics, you can go to Traffic Sources > Advertising > AdWords > Keyword Positions to see how many times each keyword has showed up in a specific ad position. Not sure about CV or CTR, though.

Thanks,

Rion

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Next question. Is there any way to look at data from more specific ad position (e.g. 1 vs 2 vs 3)? Conversions and CTR?

Yes, you can find that data in Google Analytics.

http://searchengineland.com/analyzing-adwords-positions-in-google-analytics-31450

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

no, it doesn't tell you that you should bid high enough to be in the top three.

theres at least one other possibility: when the search is relevant for your KWs, you end up in the top 3 and people click on your ads.

if you increase the bids, and your KWs are broad match type, you'll start showing up for all kinds of stuff-that you may not want.

if you're playing with bids, i suggest using the exact match KW type

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Looking through my data, I segmented Top vs Other. Almost all of my clicks come from top. I guess that tells me I need to bid high enough to stay in top 3.

Actually, the top three positions almost always produce many more clicks than any other position.

This means it's not necessarily something you should focus on too much unless you can afford to keep bidding out the competition. Smiley Happy

By that, I mean that only up to three advertisers can be in the top 3 for any one search. While it's healthy and good to get a good share of that traffic, don't neglect performance in your campaign when your ads are in other positions. Position 4 can be a very good one sometimes (top of the right-hand column, I mean) and the cost for clicks there can be much, much lower than the cost of a click on a "featured" ad. You might find that optimizing for that postion is much more profitable than optimizing for a featured ad.

Just a thought.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*