Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Top vs. Other Report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Im seeking clarification on the top vs. other report. It is my understanding that "top" would be ad positions 3-4 and "other" is bottom of the page ads. That makes sense, however, when I segment my data by top vs. other in many cases, the "other" segment reports an average page position of 1-2.

So, does this mean the ads are serving frequently in position 1 -2 on Page Two??

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top vs. Other Report

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi Beverly,

When you segment by top vs. other, Google search other row shows "any AdWords text ads that don't appear directly above Google search results are categorized as "Google search: Other."

I may assume that for some of your keywords there were no paid search results in the top of SERP (for some queries Google does not show ads at the top), so even though your ad was located under the organic search results, it still can be considered being in position 1-2 as a paid search result.

Please let me know if you have any questions; I will be glad to help you.

Regards, 

Eva

Regards,
Eva
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beverly B
February 2017

Top vs. Other Report

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello @Beverly B

• Google search: Top -- Your ad ran above the organic Google search results.
  • Google search: Other -- Any AdWords text ads that don't appear directly above Google search results are categorized as "Google search: Other."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454072?

Average  could be misleading  what is the average  of positions 2 and 4...?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top vs. Other Report

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Beverly,

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm hoping someone who might know jumps in and answers.

From what I understand: Other means "Any AdWords text ads that don't appear directly above Google search results are categorised as "Google search: Other." which could mean that your ads were showing in the 1-2 position, but the auction was only for the bottom slots on the page.

See this article for some clarification: http://www.thesempost.com/google-displaying-adwords-only-at-bottom-of-search-results/