3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Top campaign, Top keywords - Budget allocation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

While cleaning up the keywords in one of my cllients account, I identified the top 5 campaigns which were performing good. So also I identified top 30 keywords across all campaigns. So my question is should i be allocating 80% of the budget to the top 5 camapigns or should I be allocating 80% of the budget to the top 30 keywords?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Mayura L,

Budget can be allocated at campaign level only.

If you opt out 30 best performing keywords through the account, you need to put then in specific campaign with ad group based on common theme.

In this case, i hope hardy there will be 2-3 keywords of common theme and hence the structure will be like SKAG.

This structure will take some extra efforts.

On the other hand if you go with best performing campaigns, it will be easy to go with historical data and QS.

You can pause the poor performing keywords from the top performing campaigns to get better results or can try those keywords with a more restricted keywords match type if those give conversions at higher CPA.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am thinking of doing this - I don't know if it correct, so I will be testing this

Take top 30 keywords - assign them to a separate campaign (ad groups) and allot 80% of the budget to them

Pause these top performing keywords from existing campaigns and keep them running for a mere 20% budget

In your solution

If I allot 80% of budget on campaign level - there will be keywords (low performing) which will eat up the budget and again the top keywords wont get their due.

The whole exercise is to rank for 20% of the keywords which are brining 80% of the business to the client. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mayura L
June

Re: Top campaign, Top keywords - Budget allocation

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

The whole exercise is to rank for 20% of the keywords which are bringing 80% of the business to the client. 

Then you can put them in a separate campaign as per you.

Are you using any Smart/automated bidding in current campaigns?

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No I am not using smart / automated bidding. Thank you for your insight. Its nice to know different point of views.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

You are welcome.

Note that your new campaign may take few days to boost up the desired QS till you get enough clicks and impressions. So, initially use higher CPC bids.

And in this new campaign don't mix all the keywords in a single or 2-3 ad groups otherwise the QS will be degraded.

Regards

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

There are always only a handful of targeting options that generate the majority of the revenue. So, you absolutely should identify, isolate, and optimize your top performing KW's/targeting methods.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes will take care not to make it a generic campaign mixing all keywords in one campaign - will theme it out properly. Thanks again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Glad to know that I am on the correct path of thinking.