5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Too much Mobile delivery & mobile bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, hope everyone is doing well! Relative AdWords amateur here, so my apologies.

Question about mobile delivery: 

I have some campaigns that are delivering pretty crazy CTRs (over 1 and 2%) across mobile devices despite a mobile bid decrease of 90%; this data just doesn't seem accurate for display-only campaigns. Even campaigns that do not have a mobile-specific ad size (e.g. 320x50 and 300x50) are serving high numbers via the 300x250 ad size (which I know can serve on mobile devices as well). Besides decreased bids, I also have other things applied to try and counteract this such as manual bidding, frequency capping, and site category exclusions. My team and I were discussing whether or not increasing the bid on mobile would actually assist with decreasing this delivery - perhaps because the bids are lower on mobile, this means it is over-serving to more, cheaper inventory? Maybe an increased mobile bid would make it so inventory is more expensive and thus it won't serve as much but still receive decent delivery?

I know other ways to counteract this are to decrease the mobile bid by 100% and/or create a whole other mobile-only campaign that only runs mobile-friendly ad sizes. My only issue with this is that some of our campaigns have rather small budgets and perhaps splitting the budget too much could be somewhat counter-productive. 

Please advise; I really appreciate any input. 

- Chelsea

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Too much Mobile delivery & mobile bid adjustments

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This is a mobile display ad correct?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Chelsea,

Did you check such metric as Display Lost IS (rank)? You can segment data by devices first and check this metric to see if your ad can participate in more auctions after changing mobile bid adjustment.

Cheers, 
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Some of the campaigns are running mobile-specific ads (300x50 and 320x50) and some are not running any, just the standard 728x90, 160x600, and 300x250.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Chelsea,

If you try to limit the placements on the display network, try to day part with ad scheduling or cancel out some unwanted impressions with negative keywords you may cut down on the serving of your ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alexey, thank you for your response.

Where do I go to check this? I'm not familiar with this method.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Chelsea N

I recall that I had at least 2 campaigns (in competitive verticals) in which we had  a high CTR on display.

In my opinion a high CTR  on display is an achievement (and hence, I disagree with your view that high CTR on display should be limited). The higher CTR on display shows that your banner is appealing to users. (A tough task when you compete with many advertisers competing   for ad slot on a given webpage.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi @Chelsea N
I agree with @MosheTLV You are getting really great CTR on Display Network. 

Please check this screenshot to add Display Lost IS: 

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The high CTR isn't resulting in sessions though. Also, a lot of our campaigns have very small budgets and continue to receive high CTRs - it looks odd for campaigns with low spends to get high CTRs and those with higher spends to get lower CTRs; shouldn't it be the other way around? Otherwise, high-budget companies wouldn't spend hardly anything on display ads. Also, the majority of all clicks are occurring with the 300x250 SWFs on mobile-only devices. It's just a bit hard to believe - almost feels like accidental clicks to me. I know "accidental clicks" is a dirty word, but are this many individuals really clicking on an ad for a local dentist this often within a specific DMA in the past 8 days? It looks suspicious to the customer. (Screenshot example below.)

Mobile Clicks.PNG

I really appreciate all of the feedback - thank you so much!

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Chelsea N;

Honestly, Unless I miss something, I don't see  the data as "out or the ordinary".

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’