Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Too many entities in my campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get this error message when I try to take ad groups out of target CPA and use manual bidding instead. I also get the same message when I try the same changes at the keyword level.  This was a reply that I received from someone at Google but I can't find any info on either. Any insight would be much appreciated! 

So for your reference AdWords has a limit of 10,000 Ad group feed references per campaign and 10,000 Ad Group Criterion bid strategy overrides per campaign. So you are receiving this error because you have maxed out on either one of these. If you can reduce the campaign references or overrides then you should be fine going forward

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike P
February

Re: Too many entities in my campaign?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mike,

Do you have a large account where you are actually hitting this cap? If so, you will need to reduce the metrics that are over capacity.

From 2014: (limit has increased since then but setting change is still needed)
There is indeed no limit of 1000 ad groups per campaign - but there's a limit of 1000 ad groups carrying bid strategy overrides per campaign. If you expand More Info section on the error dialog, you should see "AD_GROUP_BIDDING_STRATEGY_OVERRIDES_PER_CAMPAIGN" somewhere in the detailed error message.
To avoid the limit, make sure your ad groups have "Bid strategy: Use campaign bid strategy" setting. If you do want to use per-ad group bid strategy overrides, then you can only have 1000 such ad groups per campaign.

If you do know that you have a small account that should not be having this alert happen, you would be well-served to interact with Google AdWords Support so they can access your account with you and go over what is actually happening and fix any technical issues. If you open AdWords and click on the gear icon (or three stacked dots) in the upper right hand corner, you can call the number shown or click on Help (same location) and use any other methods offered to interact with the support team.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Do you have that many ad-groups?  If so, why would you need that many ad-group? I doubt this is possible to manage effectively...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a very large national campaign. Might be a good idea to break it out into 2 separate accounts. Thanks for replying!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mike,

With a large national campaign, I would suggest keeping it all in one account but breaking it up into several campaigns. Either one per state or one per region (Southeast, Southwest, Northeast, Northwest, etc.) This would also help with targeting since each region uses slightly different terms for common items (coke, cola, pop, soda pop, etc.).

Best wishes with this.

Kind Regards,

James