AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

To delete or not to delete

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I've read some posts on this forum and other texts and books and couldn't find a final answer to this question: do deleted items (be keywords or ads) influence different on history performance and QS than paused items.

I've read a couple of articles that said it's better to delete ads because Google doesn't take into account deleted items on its averages. But some say that's not true.

Any actual test you've done? Any official data from Google? Any Google engineer who could show us the light?

Warm regards from upcoming winter in Argentina Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: To delete or not to delete

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Juanintera; welcome back;

I see that you have read a previous discussion on the issue:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Delete-or-pause/td-p/51736

Here are others:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Delete-paused-underperforming-ads-kws/td-p/1...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Low-QS-paused-not-deleted-bad/m-p/61506/high...

I think the answer is clear: it has some contribution

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe and I've read some answers as you say. But I'm posting it because because definitely the answer is unclear.

As far as I've seen people have opinions but neither official data from Google nor actual tests.

So from my viewpoint this question is still unanswered.

Best

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Juanintera,

History is history, whether it has been deleted or not. Current history is weighted more in the analysis, so at some point, and we don't know when, the deleted ad/keyword history is dropped from the calculation.

There is no disceranable difference between deleting and pausing except that it is easier to un-pause than to un-delete.

Maybe a Googler will confirm this for you.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I recall that there was a reference to that on the help center; That has probably removed with the new redesign of the help center;

Anyway; as said in the links I listed; as time goes the "old campaign performance" is less significant (for QS calculation) compared to current campaign performances....(Like in real life).

I will continue to search for the reference;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hooray, I found it;

Unlike this (EN) community, the Hebrew one, has not been migrated to a new platform, and still runs on the Google Product forum platform. So, old content is searchable. (While on our community the "old forum" ceased to be searchable at the beginning of 2012.)

In a response to a user question on Jan 3 2012, I quoted the help center: (The link, indeed, was removed. Translation: "courtesy" of Google translate):

>>"The historical performance of ads and keywords paused or deleted will affect your account history. However, we still recommend deleting ads and keywords poorly performing, to improve Quality Score. to avoid  future  influence of poorly performing  ads and keywords on your account history. As your account builds up performance history over time, the affect of the deleted ads and keywords on your Quality Score will decrease."

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/adwords-iw/DXlV9_ydlMY

-Moshe

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe! Great research!!

So it seems that is a better practice to delete bad performers because they affect more on Qs.

". As your account builds up performance history over time, the affect of the deleted ads and keywords on your Quality Score will decrease."