AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

To convert, or to increase landing page experience- that is the question.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I dont have links on my landing page for the user to browse to additional pages because...  i want to convert. My campaign converts pretty high sometimes right on the first page- name, email, phone number every 1/5 clicks but i guess thats a high bounce rate 80% right on the first click to landing page.

The issue is clearly my competitors are getting more page views them me. My quality score is 10/10. My bids kept going higher and higher and conversions were getting killed. I eventually noticed my landing page experience is real bad score. I have this problem even on bing ads. 

I was running broad modified and phrase match, some in same ad groups etc. Ok wrong. Now i set up exact matchs only and in their own ad group to have super specific ads and even made custom landing pages for each with proper keywords/meta/page title and inside of h1 tag i added the exact match, also added it on some parts of the page in verbiage.

My question is... once you increase landing page experience dont your conversions go down huge in some industries? How do you balance this?

Ive fixed all the issues i think so far, page load time, mobile friendlyness, keywords... and it still hasnt fixed it, even when i add a new ad group from scratch and run it for a week. Clearly the bounce rate is just too high. To note i didnt change the funnel im still asking for name, number, email on first page.

So i have to options:

1) add header links to browse

2) (what im thinking is smarter) Do a multi step page asking questions to the user to show google they browsed i dont know... 2-3 links and get my bounce rate much lower. So i wont ask for info on page one ill just have a large button that says GET STARTED or something, ask them one question per page (make them feel engaged easily) and do a /step-1   /step-2  step-3 then ask for their info at the end. Im for sure worried about letting users browsing site because i have to think thats a killer. 

How many pages traditionally does a user need to browse for the landing page experience to be high. I know it based off industry/competition but im curious to hear from someone who has an "excellent" landing page experience as i almost feel like this is impossible to get. If so, did it hurt your conversion ratio getting there?

Thank you

-A guy whos first page bid and CPC raises daily.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe L
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

You are very welcome and are on top of your AdWords account, so kudos to you on that. I love seeing someone with clear objective, sense of humor and the determination to succeed. 

When we see a high bounce rate, we dig into the landing page, then ad copy, then keywords, then placements, then site performance and lastly actual searches (user behavior within the search). The landing page simply matters so greatly with AdWords and with providing the user experience that is expected and needed.

It sounds like you have keywords well under control (and ideally targeted), and the same for site performance. Really everything sounds pretty good expect for the single action landing page, which you have stated you are now onto that. Once you tighten that up, you should be doing great overall. 

I would add that Google does look at bounce rate but many great campaigns will see 80% bounce rates and be deemed highly-credible. 60% is more normal for many... and anything under that is pretty darn good. Of course, not all pizza is baked the same, so there are many metrics that just can't be generalized. At the end of the day, I see you nailing your goals and acquiring your success!

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Re: To convert, or to increase landing page experience- that is the question.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

What I would do is work on the landing page. Make it a great user experience and add relevant content that aligns with the ad and keywords... and provides info about you/your products/your services. Not too much data... but certainly not a bare sign-up form, either. 

Your AdWords campaigns are wrapped around your landing page. When you fix it, you should increase quality score (ads, campaigns and keywords), decrease costs, and increase conversions & goals. 

Things to look at for a great landing page...

• Relevant, useful, original content
  • Transparency and trustworthiness
  • Ease of Navigation
  • Speed at which the site loads

Also keep in mind that AdWords is not a set it and forget it system, so often times something that worked really well for a while will become stale and shaking things up will bring a nice change. You could set up another landing page for each ad group and run them both for A/B testing and determine which way works best today.

That's what I would do. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James I truly appreciate the response. I'm all about making the world a better place and making these "transparent" landers with "relevant content" haha but clearly that's not the most important factor considering how terrible my landing page experience is being rated. I have super targeted landers per group. Domain. Com/exact-keyword, then meta and keywords for that page being exact also. I have text with the exact keyword on the landers. I have the exact keyword in h1 tags... I fixed the load time... I checked every site out there with googles tool... No ones score is as good as mine, not even Geicos landing page or any huge companies (mobile friendliness, desktop/mobile speed). It's getting frustrating... I look at all of my competitors and even huge companies and I'm pretty sure based off all principles listed everywhere I'm doing a better job. The only thing left is a bounce rate... I truly think Google cares more about that than anything which admittedly I have not fixed. I ask for users info on page 1 without any navigation available. Clearly I really failed there. If googles sees hey 100 people clicked the ad and 80% left... How could it be possible to have a great landing page experience. I realize this now. 

Aftwr more research I've realized I need to get the user to click through a funnel first to show Google hey... The users are getting past 1 URL. Rather than asking for info on page 1 I'll make a quick lander with content below and a GET STARTED > button to at least get them into a second URL. I'm going to ask for info on page 3 rather than 1. I believe that will solve it after a lot of research.  Thank you again, appreciate it. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joe L
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

You are very welcome and are on top of your AdWords account, so kudos to you on that. I love seeing someone with clear objective, sense of humor and the determination to succeed. 

When we see a high bounce rate, we dig into the landing page, then ad copy, then keywords, then placements, then site performance and lastly actual searches (user behavior within the search). The landing page simply matters so greatly with AdWords and with providing the user experience that is expected and needed.

It sounds like you have keywords well under control (and ideally targeted), and the same for site performance. Really everything sounds pretty good expect for the single action landing page, which you have stated you are now onto that. Once you tighten that up, you should be doing great overall. 

I would add that Google does look at bounce rate but many great campaigns will see 80% bounce rates and be deemed highly-credible. 60% is more normal for many... and anything under that is pretty darn good. Of course, not all pizza is baked the same, so there are many metrics that just can't be generalized. At the end of the day, I see you nailing your goals and acquiring your success!

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks again. Yeah it's tough for me to gauge if I'm paying a low cpc compared to competitors which really is what drives me nuts- I'll never know if I'm truly succeeding or not. My rising cpc after a few weeks I believe is my landing page experience score starting to average in. Seeing competitors charging $49.... Knowing all of their business models (they don't upsell), using tools (most spending 30k/m stable for over a year) and they're not funded companies just trying to grow to grow...  I'm pretty sure having. $3 cpc isnt possible for them. I guess really the only thing to do is fix the funnel and try again.  Hey I do have one question. I hate the idea of having to let my score re-average in... Should I disable the ad group, make a new one with the same keywords, make a new destination URL and re try? I would think I could spend $500 before my score re averages in.... 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

Absolutely welcome. 

I would add in a new landing page and A/B test just that change for a week or so. I think it will be refreshing and reveal some things to you. 

By chance have you run this to learn some fun things?

Happy Saturday,

James

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Joe L;

Is Google Analytics installed on your site?

If you wish to better understand the user behavior and user engagement on your site - the first step would be to install Analytics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes for sure I run that. I'm in a strange industry there is some "do it online" sites and some not. Due to this you need to tread lightly with keywords so competitive analysis is cool to see but not super helpful. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey, thanks Moshe. So I do have analytics but truthfully I almost never look at it. I'm using unbounce- eat landing page shows the bounce rate extremely quickly there. I have been split testing like a mad man, completely different variations, within those... Headline tests, color tests, everhthing.

I have a pretty good beat on everything now. I really think my issue is bounce rate. If any of you have seen an account with perfect scores and only a landing page asking for users data with no ability to navigate.... Well then my theory could easily be proven wrong. But essentially 80% or more are bouncing from my landing page. Sadly through based off reading this forum lately I'm starting to see there is no "set it and forget it". Would be interesting to see what "success" truly means for a large Adwords account. Us little guys I'm sure are light years behind the guys spending 20k/m+ For a few months haha. Thanks! 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Joe L,

I figured you had run that before, since you are solidly on top of your account. 

@MosheTLV makes a great point (as always) and one that we do, too. Have you looked at this article about testing landing pages with Google Analytics? Great piece of info that will guide you well... should you accept this mission, lol. I only add this in case it could be helpful.

You are absolutely correct on AdWords not being a set it and forget it. When looking at us agencies that handle multiple accounts (like me) and business owners that handle their own accounts, this is the defining contrast in actions. I work on my client accounts daily, if not many times per day. I am comparing Analytics to AdWords to Server reports and crunching the data to see what is working and what is stale or trending downward. Once the trend is not steady or growing, changes are made like adjusting keywords (negative and modifiers), adding in A/B testing for all of the elements of a campaign, and looking into placements, ad quality, website & landing pages, branding online, social signals, reviews, other advertising that a client might be doing that can affect my actions... and the industry & local trends.    

I know you have your eye on the prize already and have solved your inquiry here, so this is just further, friendly conversation.

All the Best,

James