AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

To Negative Or Not To Negative That Is The Question....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a well established Google Shopping campaign, I have split out all the main sellers and brands into their own adgroups and things look good. However I also have an "ALL" campaign which I use as a catchers net if you like, when I run a Search Terms report on for the the last year, there is over £5,000 of clicked but unconverted traffic, so no brainer neg these terms , BUT when you look at them some of these terms look like they would be search related suicide to neg, however the evidence is there, well placed well covered and non converting.

So despite the fact I am an experienced and dare I say succesful search marketeer, my question is what is the market wide concensus, should non converting but still clicked terms be culled, even if they appear that they SHOULD be doing ok?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: To Negative Or Not To Negative That Is The Question....

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Gareth,

My short answer would be--yes. In the interest of getting the best ROI possible, it makes sense for you to remove those search terms that you're paying for but not seeing purchases from.

But if these terms seem very relevant to your business, and people are clicking and bouncing, you may want to consider your website first. I.e. are you sending these people to a relevant page on your site after they click? Is your site easy-to-navigate? Optimized for mobile devices?

If you have other terms that are converting well, then there may not be an issue with your site experience at all, and I would recommend turning them off (at least for now). But if you feel that there is some disconnect, it would be worth it to take a look through your Analytics, etc.

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will have different advice too, since this is a bit of a subjective question.

Cassie

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

It's often hard to separate the baby from the bathwater... @CassieH 's reply makes good sense - within GA also look at the bounce rate for these search terms - and consider how valuable they are to any remarketing campaigns you are running. With some accounts, the longer view is very different from the short term view.

The real question might also be to ask if you can reallocate that budget to search terms that ARE performing, do you improve your overall ROI. Few of us work with truly unlimited budgets, so non-performing search terms may simply be taking budget away from performing search terms. That should really never happen.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Gareth M to add another thought to the debate (and muddy the waters further), have you looked into how much influence these terms might have as "assists" to conversion?  Is it possible that some of these terms are bringing people to the website "early" who then take time to make a decision before coming back (outside of your conversion window) and converting with a different term?

The other thing to be cautious of is killing long-tail Keywords (or search terms) that individually haven't really gathered statistically significant data to prove they're unprofitable.  By this I mean that there's a huge difference between one single search term that's had 5000 clicks without a conversion and 5000 search terms with only one click each.

As I'm sure you've done, it's clear you should ditch those terms that don't appear relevant, but if they look relevant to you, consider what "chance" they've had to convert, what role they might be playing in long-term assistance and also look at the bottom line figures.  $5000 sounds like a lot, but if you're spending $100,000 in a year it may simply not be worth the risk of removing what appear to be valid searches...

There, that should make the decision easy.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits