Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Tips for auditing a client's account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

So I just was given a large client account to audit and optimize. I've already searched the forums and have some posts to analyze, but I also wanted to see if anyone could chime in to give me some links to more info on the web or personal tips on auditing an optimizing an existing client adwords account. Account has been running for some time now, it's fairly large, and from first impressions it's pretty disorganized (lots of different ad groups, keywords, etc).

In your opinion, what would be some "quick wins" to verify and/or fix? Any comments are appreciated, thanks!

Camilo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camilo O
June 2016

Re: Tips for auditing a client's account?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Olea,

This is going to sound so vague but there is no perfect solution here and there are a million and one specific metrics that can be analyzed and focused on.

Here are some suggestions.

Work from the goals of the campaign/account backwards. Find out of there is any decent tracking set up. If yes, work from conversions/sales/revenue/leads perspective first.

Check your settings - make sure targeting, languages, scheduling are all correct etc...and in line with the goals. The dimensions tab can often offer some insights as well.

Find the campaigns/ad groups with the most to gain from optimization first. Maybe they are the top spending campaigns or they generate the most sales or leads. You can decide but the idea here is to not spend all kinds of time looking at keywords in an ad group that is responsible for .05% of the budget. Target the most active/most to gain areas first.

If you're more focused on account performance and not conversions/goals, CTR is always great to look at. Do the same, find the campaigns that have poor CTR and investigate. Look at why the top performing areas are doing so.

If you're budget constrained, definitely examine your Impression Shares and ad delivery settings as well as networks and see if the search partners are performing for you.

Search Query reports and negative keywords are also areas where you can investigate for improvement.

Depending on how large this account is, you may just want to apply some band aids now and rebuild it yourself. Then you don't have wonder what else might be missing or incorrectly set up.

Hope this helps some...if you have specific questions along the way, let us know.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camilo O
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Olea,

This is going to sound so vague but there is no perfect solution here and there are a million and one specific metrics that can be analyzed and focused on.

Here are some suggestions.

Work from the goals of the campaign/account backwards. Find out of there is any decent tracking set up. If yes, work from conversions/sales/revenue/leads perspective first.

Check your settings - make sure targeting, languages, scheduling are all correct etc...and in line with the goals. The dimensions tab can often offer some insights as well.

Find the campaigns/ad groups with the most to gain from optimization first. Maybe they are the top spending campaigns or they generate the most sales or leads. You can decide but the idea here is to not spend all kinds of time looking at keywords in an ad group that is responsible for .05% of the budget. Target the most active/most to gain areas first.

If you're more focused on account performance and not conversions/goals, CTR is always great to look at. Do the same, find the campaigns that have poor CTR and investigate. Look at why the top performing areas are doing so.

If you're budget constrained, definitely examine your Impression Shares and ad delivery settings as well as networks and see if the search partners are performing for you.

Search Query reports and negative keywords are also areas where you can investigate for improvement.

Depending on how large this account is, you may just want to apply some band aids now and rebuild it yourself. Then you don't have wonder what else might be missing or incorrectly set up.

Hope this helps some...if you have specific questions along the way, let us know.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Tommy! Will read carefully and apply. Cheers! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Happy to help! Let us know if you have any further questions.

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually just a last one - I'm seeing the client's account and I notice that all of his bids are set up as "enhanced". Is this the automated bidding done by adwords? I always use manual bidding and keep an eye on estimated costs and adjust accordingly. What could you recommend on enhanced vs manual bidding? Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Olea,

Yes, that is one of the automated bidding options - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2464964?hl=en (this whole article is great and will help you but the two sections, How does ECPC know which auctions are promising? and How is ECPC different from Conversion Optimizer? give a little more insight).

What would I recommend? Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends". I've had accounts with lots of accurate conversion data and ECPC worked well and others that just wouldn't work. The key with any automated option, IMO, is you really need to be working with significant and consistent conversions. The more data you can feed the machine, the smarter it gets and the better it functions.

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Excellent - thanks for all the help Tommy! Smiley Happy