Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Tips for Getting Through the Summer Lull

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi fellow community members,

I work mostly with campaigns for the French market. Mid July to mid August is a huge vacation time for people in France and I have noticed this in the Impressions and Klicks for my campaigns. What I have found very interesting is that not only am I getting fewer Ad impressions during this time, my CTR is also decreasing quite drastically.

Do any other forum members have similar "summer lull" experiences? And does anyone have tips on how I can optimize my campaigns for these times?

5 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Tips for Getting Through the Summer Lull

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

If you are sure of the vacation trend and have the detailed historical data depicting the low online traffic activity for your business during that particular time, then you might think of lowering the cost and expenses of your campaigns for that time and utilize the same during the peak time of your business (if any).

I am not familiar with what type of business you are running on Adwords, but you might give it a try exploring Google Display Network and try to expand your brand on that. There have been lot of advancement happening over Google Display Network over the past, so you can also think of remarketing as well.

In case you are advertising internationally for your business, then you might consider focussing on other areas during this vacation time of French people, so as to get the most out of it.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Tips for Getting Through the Summer Lull/ Google insights for search

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000;

There are campaigns that are "trendy" and seasonal oriented.

What I would suggest, is to take your high CTR keywords, and "run" them on Google insights for search, to check if there is a summer decline in search volume in France (for these keywords);

http://www.google.com/insights/search/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

You already had a great advice, I would like to add some:

Reason could that you competitors are giving their campaigns in this season special treatment by raising budget, enticing adcopies with strong call to action, offers, discounts etc.

Did you also notice drop down in Avg. Position, QS, Impression Share etc? Can u please compare your campaign perofmance with previous performance and check if anything else also get effected?

Please check aution insight report for top performing keywords(those are recetly declined in performance) & see if their is any new competitors or How good you are in compare of other competitors. I would suggest you to check adcopies of those competitors & try to tweak your adcopy.

Are you utilizing sitelink extension? Are you using extended headline feature? these helps in boost CTR if your avg, position lies between 1 to 3.

Refine your Search query report and Add negative keywords at adgroup level and campaign level. Also look for new long tail keywords opportunities from search query report.

Did you check New matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords under search query. You can opt-in opt-out this under campaign settings.

Hope it helps you in someway!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

To answer your questions simply... Yes.. retailers generally see a seasonal trend or lull period at some point in the year though it may not be during the same time as your business..

When the impressions drop.. it means that fewer people are searching for your product/service.. also... when your CTR reduces...it means that out of the people searching for your service/product, overall the people have a lesser intent of buying during this period... 

Since I do not know what businessyou are in.. I cannot comment on the time period for your summer lull.

You hav already been given great advice regarding utilizing google Trends to judge this period...

Regarding tips.. generally when you want to increase the CTR of your ads:

- try and increase the relevance.. Use your primary keywords in the headlines of your ad

- You could use DKI in your ads

- since the intent of th people is not too high, try enticing them with offers

- use a strong Call to Action. You could try something that shows a sense of urgency - "Offer valid for 2 days only!", "Hurry!", "Buy Now!" etc...

- Just to save up on irrelevant clicks, try putting your price in the ads.. this will weed out customers who are not interested in actually purchasing your product

- sometimes it helps just to have very straigt forward ads.. very precise... so only the users who know exactly what they want will click your ads

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

If you are sure of the vacation trend and have the detailed historical data depicting the low online traffic activity for your business during that particular time, then you might think of lowering the cost and expenses of your campaigns for that time and utilize the same during the peak time of your business (if any).

I am not familiar with what type of business you are running on Adwords, but you might give it a try exploring Google Display Network and try to expand your brand on that. There have been lot of advancement happening over Google Display Network over the past, so you can also think of remarketing as well.

In case you are advertising internationally for your business, then you might consider focussing on other areas during this vacation time of French people, so as to get the most out of it.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000;

There are campaigns that are "trendy" and seasonal oriented.

What I would suggest, is to take your high CTR keywords, and "run" them on Google insights for search, to check if there is a summer decline in search volume in France (for these keywords);

http://www.google.com/insights/search/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

You already had a great advice, I would like to add some:

Reason could that you competitors are giving their campaigns in this season special treatment by raising budget, enticing adcopies with strong call to action, offers, discounts etc.

Did you also notice drop down in Avg. Position, QS, Impression Share etc? Can u please compare your campaign perofmance with previous performance and check if anything else also get effected?

Please check aution insight report for top performing keywords(those are recetly declined in performance) & see if their is any new competitors or How good you are in compare of other competitors. I would suggest you to check adcopies of those competitors & try to tweak your adcopy.

Are you utilizing sitelink extension? Are you using extended headline feature? these helps in boost CTR if your avg, position lies between 1 to 3.

Refine your Search query report and Add negative keywords at adgroup level and campaign level. Also look for new long tail keywords opportunities from search query report.

Did you check New matching behavior for phrase and exact match keywords under search query. You can opt-in opt-out this under campaign settings.

Hope it helps you in someway!

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi lortron3000,

To answer your questions simply... Yes.. retailers generally see a seasonal trend or lull period at some point in the year though it may not be during the same time as your business..

When the impressions drop.. it means that fewer people are searching for your product/service.. also... when your CTR reduces...it means that out of the people searching for your service/product, overall the people have a lesser intent of buying during this period... 

Since I do not know what businessyou are in.. I cannot comment on the time period for your summer lull.

You hav already been given great advice regarding utilizing google Trends to judge this period...

Regarding tips.. generally when you want to increase the CTR of your ads:

- try and increase the relevance.. Use your primary keywords in the headlines of your ad

- You could use DKI in your ads

- since the intent of th people is not too high, try enticing them with offers

- use a strong Call to Action. You could try something that shows a sense of urgency - "Offer valid for 2 days only!", "Hurry!", "Buy Now!" etc...

- Just to save up on irrelevant clicks, try putting your price in the ads.. this will weed out customers who are not interested in actually purchasing your product

- sometimes it helps just to have very straigt forward ads.. very precise... so only the users who know exactly what they want will click your ads

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

There are some great ideas here from the Community! Thanks for all the posts here guys. 

Monitoring for seasonality is really important and some of the tips about optimising your campaigns from the community will hopefully help you ride out this lull over the holiday period. Google Insights for Search is a neat tool to help you look at variations on Natural Search and will hopefully give you more insight here.  

A. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all these tips. I have analzyed this problem quite a bit and, as I said, I am receiving fewer impressions and fewer clicks, but the clicks are decreasing more than the impressions. Also, looking at the historical data of my account, this lull happens every year at this time, however this year is particularly strong. However, in the last 6 months I have added many keywords to the account, so it could be that this year we just see the lull more drastically over a larger base of keywords.

I took a look at this phenomenon at the AdGroup level and found that some of my Adgroups have actually improved in position! This leads me to think that my competitors must not be raising their bids during this time.

Until now I have not used the Google Insights for Search very often. I will work more with this tool and take a look at my top keywords. Also, I think all your tips about improving my ad copy are right.

Thanks so much everyone!

Lortron3000