Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Thoughts on adding pos kw from search term report

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys

When i run a search term report, you have the option to add or exclude kw and i often see that my account 'catches' many other kw that are not in my list for a given campaign. After speaking to a google ad rep the other day, she said i should add kw (with good ctr) from these reports but i was thinking that if i constantly did that i would end up with a massive kw list and if my account is catching these kw anyway, whats the point of adding them?

I just wondered what you guys thought

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Thoughts on adding pos kw from search term report

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello ripleyhypno,

AdWords does not automatically add keywords using the Search Term report. I do not understand what you mean by "catching".

Yes you can manually to add some search terms to new ad groups if they are valuable.

I tend to measure their value if they ended up in a visit with a conversion . 

You can create many Ad Groups from search terms, based on words that they have in common but there is also a feature in the Opportunities Tab , which automatically splits large Ad Groups with too many keywords in smaller ones , I wrote about it here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/New-in-Opportunities-Tab-Create-better-theme...

I recommend adding the search term in the exact and phrase match. Many of them will have the status "low search volume". Keeping them will not affect your account in a bad way. In the best case scenario someone else will search for them again and the next click could be cheaper than the click on the initial keyword that triggered the search term.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

HI Ripleyhypno,

Welcome to the Adwords CommunitySmiley Happy

First of all I would like to ask what is the main goal of your campaigns.

1.) If your campaign's goal is to generate the traffic only you can add those keywords which has a good CTR.

2.) and if your campaign's goal is conversion then you can add the keywords based on Conversion and Cost per Conversion.

Even you have to also check whether the search term is relevant or not. If its not relevant then you can exclude it.

Adding this keywords itself is not always good, you should align it with new text ads and bid to get the desired results.

Please follow  the link and  go to 

"Manage your keywords based on search terms data"  Section or read the article in the snapshot

Search Query Report.png

Hope that will help you!

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Adrian i didnt explain myself correctly, by catching i mean that i will get found for search terms that i do not currently have.

my worry is that if i keep adding kw over a year the list would be massive and are we not supposed to keep kw lists tightly themed in smaller lists?

Rakesh- my main goal is to get more clients visiting my office as im a local business, conversions are very hard to measure as i ve tried before. I know about adding/excluding kw from the report and like you say the more i add the more i have to mess about with ad text etc

What im saying is that if, say my (broad match) kw is finding many other kw search terms why should i add those new found kw - as my system is finding them already?

Thanks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ripleyhypno
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

"why should i add those new found kw - as my system is finding them already?"

Because a click on your 2 words broad match keyword can be a lot more expensive than a click on an added "search term" in exact or phrase match.

This happens because simple broad attract too much traffic , are not so relevant to the users and receive low quality scores. For example a broad match can have a QS of 4/10 while an "Added search term" can have a QS of 8/10 because it draws a lot less traffic, and when it matches a search it is very relevant to the searcher. The higher the QS the lower the bids you need to make it to the Top of the page ( first 3 positions) which have a better CTR.

What is the QS of your broad match that triggers those search terms ?

Is your avg. cpc for that broad match keyword cheap enough for you ? 

As I mentioned before, the system now has an automatic tool to re-group keywords in smaller ad groups.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Ripleyhypno,

If your goal is increasing traffic of your website so in this case you can add the search terms based on the CTR and also add those search terms that has high impression and higher avg position. so that you can optimized the keywords and get the

Yes i agree with Adrian, Adding New found keywords will help you to achieve better CTR & QS and lower Avg CPC.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’