5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

This publisher doesn't accept contextual targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To my surprise after i googled "This publisher doesn't accept contextual targeting" nothing comes up. I want to target one forum with a banner, so i set the website and ran the banner, i targeted it by keywords, interests and topics... but when i go under "placements" where there is literally only one website there.... i hover over eligability and it says "This publisher doesn't accept contextual targeting"

Did this website owner block me? It shows i have had 9 impressions, that was before i defined criteria... i just did placements and literally left everything else alone but after realizing that was a terrible idea i made the campaign more targeted now it gives me that message?

Can i display on this website or did he block me after those 9 impressions. If i can display do i have to delete all the criterias and just broadly targeted the website?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: This publisher doesn't accept contextual targeting

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Are you sure this website (forum, domain) show Google-ads? Have you seen such ads on it?

If it doesn´t matter for you where (which page) on this website your ads are shown, you don´t have to, and probably shouldn´t use any other targeting than "managed placement" (i.e just add the domain as placement). 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am positive when you hover over slot on forum it says "AdChoices".

"If it doesn´t matter for you where (which page) on this website your ads are shown, you don´t have to, and probably shouldn´t use any other targeting than "managed placement"

Well i heard on warriorforum doing that (untargeted) is a receipe for failure. Additionally i figured if i just go into a melting pot of all categories... im just competiting with every single Cost Per Click out there... meaning if there are 100 industries rather than competitively bidding on 1 i have to competitively bid with 100. Now yes it may be true that its not super important where i show up, i just figured it would help me get my CostPerClick down drastically.This campaign is for web development BTW, and it is targeting a business startup forum, this is first time doing banner advertisement but again, do you think not being targeted is a good idea? Apparently i do not have a choice on this forum though as that message displayed above that publisher does not accept contextual advertising.

I set max CPC at $1.65 and not sure if that is too low right now or not.

Thank you, appreciate the prompt response.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Curiouss; welcome;

To my knowledge you don't know if a publisher blocked you. 

When you pick the site on placements, there is a small icon showing  the type of ads the site accepts (texts ads, banners / pics). What do you see?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

it shows image and text icon and when i hover confirms its image and text, so thats good.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK;

And when you choose this placement; do you get impressions?

(Is your bid high enough?, do you have all ads formats for this site?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I did get 9 impressions within a day for the one forum at a low bid cost of around $1.55 but that was just "placements"... after asking questions on a forum, people basically laughed that i didnt make the campaign targeted and said i would lose money so i narrowed it down with display keyowrds, topics, and interest..... now its saying publisher does not accept conetextual advertising....

I mean ill go back to broad and increade the bid if i have to... im just surprised so many advertisers would go broad like this on a forum especially considering how many marketers say its a receipe for failure.

There is a possibility the publisher blocked me, but no idea, i guess i should delete all advanced targeting, just leave "placements" and see what happens?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again;

• If you leave "placements" alone, the ad will be shown on placements only;
  • Since you don't have many impressions, I don't see why not keeping it with placements only;
  • If you add another targeting method (e.g. topics) and choose "target and bid", your ad will be shown only to users who visit the "placements" sites, AND this site is also chosen from topics

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok Mosche, considering low impressions maybe your right... i figured that was because i wasnt bidding enough $$ per click.... and the broader you go the more your competitng with high CPC for things that may not even be worth it i thought, like irrelevant slots.

So now that i set it back an hour ago i havent seen any more clicks hopefully it will go back in to effect. Last thing, do you have any suggestions on how to bid competitively? How do i research what others are paying on display network? With keywords thats a bit easier... should i slowly ramp my max bid up little by little or do auto max bid and see what happens? thank you very informative.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Have you tried the placement tool to get ideas for placement sites?

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2471191

I recommend to use managed placements and keywords. This narrows the targeting to pages on  placement sites that their content matches the "theme" of keywords. (Using this method you can also bid on specific keywords.)

How much to bid? That's an open question. I usually start at around 60%-80% of the bid, for the same keyword on the search network;