Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

this keeps on boggling my mind and I cannot find any logic in it (even after searching the forums):

Within one ad group I have four ads and let's say 20 keywords.

While all ads are approved, when running the mouse over the Approved bubble, I see that two of them are not showing, because

This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword

So what shall I do to make it show? Create yet another ad group?

I remember  that one keyword can trigger several ads.

Thanks

Re: This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword:

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, Matt. For example your have two ad group.

Ad group 1. Buy car - keyword buy car
Ad group 2. Buy toyota car - keyword buy toyota car

Sometimes google can display ads from 1 group when user enter search query buy toyota car, to prevent it you should add word toyota as negative keyword in 1 ad group.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Matt,

As you said you have four Ads in one adgroup.

Are those 2 ads not getting served at all?
What are your Ad rotation Settings?

Regards,
Rahul Goel

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hi Matt,

As in Anton's example, it would seem that you have duplicate (or similar) keywords in different ad groups. AdWords is usually taking the one from the other adgroup (can be for a variety of reasons including AdRank) and show you that message in this adgroup.

You can solve this by removing the duplicate (if they're duplicates) or by using negative keywords if they're similar. More info on similar keywords can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Matt,

As you mentioned you have 4 Ads in one adgroup and 2 of them are not showing and when you hover the mouse over bubble you got the reason "This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword"

I recommend to check the keyword is triggering other ads from same ad group or a different Adgroup. that info is available when you hover the mouse on the bubble under the reason.

if the keyword is triggering other ad from different adgroup then you can solve it by removing duplicate as Ken M already suggested.

& if its triggering ad from same Adgroup as you have 4 Ads in that Adgroup then you can check your ad rotation settings (Optimise for clicks is default rotation setting) where google gives preference to ads that are expected to attract more clicks.

regards,
Rahul Goel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rahul,

thanks for posting.
I guess the solution is that Google gave preference for the ads that have the better click through rate.

I'll keep watching.

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Is this solvable using exact match on KWs?