AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

The Difference in running a UK based account to a US based account

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Within my career i have run accounts in the UK and Australia, but not in the US (so this is my first time). I know that in the US i can really target certain customers, and the sheer scale is huge compared.

I am just wondering how you you guys differ in the set-up or way you look after your accounts on different sides of the pond?

With regards to set-up I mean things like different campaigns for each state, different rules etc. with this being a finance account the laws are different depending on state.

Any advice from your experience would be great

Thanks Jack

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack T
September 2015

Re: The Difference in running a UK based account to a US based account

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jack, I've a couple of favourite soapboxes that apply to US Campaigns, and I'm happy to sound off again... Smiley Happy

Firstly, the US is really, really big.  This means you have at least 4 time zones to consider (there are actually 6, but you can usually lump the other two into PST).  Time zones are important because unless you split your Campaigns by time zone, all data for hourly performance is nonsense.  3pm in New York is midday in Los Angeles and AdWords always records time data based upon the home time zone (which in your case may well be GMT).  If you're happy advertising 24/7 then this may not be a problem but if you know (or suspect) there will be performance differences by hour of day you must split your Campaigns into discreet sets for each time zone.

Splitting by time zone also means you'll need to target States as groups, rather than the United States as a single target.  This isn't too onerous (particularly if you use the AdWords editor where you can copy/paste locations from one Campaign to another) but it's also a good practice when targeting the US.  You will find that performance varies from State to State, possibly quite dramatically so even if you don't split by time zone, you should target by States so that you can apply bid adjustments to tune performance.

Don't forget they also speak their own languages; they not only speak their version of "English" but have large communities where Spanish is a primary language.  Look out for US variations of common words - for example "auto" instead of "car", but also consider whether you'll find a Spanish language version of your site and Spanish Ads useful.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jack;

The biggest advantage of US targeting (well...for me) is the advanced Geo targeting  up to a zip code level.

This option is not available in any other country ( at least the last time I checked). So you could narrow your Geo targets up to a specific zip code.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheTLV!

No its not available elsewhere, i also noticed that you target my salary as well..! WHEN WILL THIS COME TO THE UK!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jack,

I can not give you too much information regarding differing your strategy according to different state laws as none of my accounts have to deal with this. I do, however, have 2 accounts that run campaigns both in the UK and the US amongst others.

I will tell you this, the cost of a campaign is on average higher in the US, in some cases substantially so. The US is possibly the highest target market on most verticals, with fierce competition across the board.

I would highly advise any world expansion plans to hold back on advertising in the US until your campaign is running at top speed, with all aspects being tested and running well (eg landing pages).

I know of clients based in the US that advertise everywhere but in the US, so be prepared.

That being said, each vertical acts differently, so ABT...always be testing

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thankyou for your answer Clynton,

Our UK campaign has been live for years, just pushing into the US now. Slowly does it I think to avoid spending a fortune...

Thanks again.

Jack

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jack,

Glad to hear the campaign is growing, always nice to hear of success. Agreed on the slowly does it to establish base line. Just keep in mind that a certain spend threshold will be necessary to see any gains, so not too slowly Smiley Tongue.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jack T
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Jack, I've a couple of favourite soapboxes that apply to US Campaigns, and I'm happy to sound off again... Smiley Happy

Firstly, the US is really, really big.  This means you have at least 4 time zones to consider (there are actually 6, but you can usually lump the other two into PST).  Time zones are important because unless you split your Campaigns by time zone, all data for hourly performance is nonsense.  3pm in New York is midday in Los Angeles and AdWords always records time data based upon the home time zone (which in your case may well be GMT).  If you're happy advertising 24/7 then this may not be a problem but if you know (or suspect) there will be performance differences by hour of day you must split your Campaigns into discreet sets for each time zone.

Splitting by time zone also means you'll need to target States as groups, rather than the United States as a single target.  This isn't too onerous (particularly if you use the AdWords editor where you can copy/paste locations from one Campaign to another) but it's also a good practice when targeting the US.  You will find that performance varies from State to State, possibly quite dramatically so even if you don't split by time zone, you should target by States so that you can apply bid adjustments to tune performance.

Don't forget they also speak their own languages; they not only speak their version of "English" but have large communities where Spanish is a primary language.  Look out for US variations of common words - for example "auto" instead of "car", but also consider whether you'll find a Spanish language version of your site and Spanish Ads useful.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits