Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

The Death OF Exact And Phrase

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone, 

As you may or may not know, Google will be doing away with Exact and Phrase match as of September, being replaced by  EXACT close variants and phrase close variants. I was just wondering how everyone felt about this, given that about 97% of adwords accounts are already opted in I don't see this being a huge issue as long as you are on top of your negatives.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Jonny

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The Death OF Exact And Phrase

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Jonny582,

There is a lot of debate going on at the moment, with people looking into all sorts of stats. The general consensus is to just leave the option available and there is even a petition out to do so, set up by Brian Geddes.

I personally do not think it is worth getting as worked up over as some people are, but then none of my current accounts are going to be affected at all.

I can see where some accounts will get affected, and it will be beneficial to have the opt out feature for those accounts. But as you said, there is the negative KW list, so they will just have to make extensive use of that.

At the end of the day, I feel like the change is making more work for a fraction of accounts and no change to the majority.

The change away from having greater control of your account is worrying, one has to start thinking of the slippery slope and how much more control are we going to loose in the coming years, starting with small things like close variants. A bit conspiracy theorist, I know, but why eliminate a control option that is not hurting anyone and only those that are on top of their game are actually using?

My 2 cents on the subject, use don't use it Smiley Tongue

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
We discussed this topic,. at length, in this discussion ; Worth reading;
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/exact-phrase-or-closed-variants/t...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Personally, I feel that if, as you say, and I strongly agree - that this is an option being used only by those who are on top of their game, then it seems unfair that Google penalize those who are working most effectively within the platform.

Are they simply trying to dumb down the platform in an attempt to level the playing field.

Try as I might I cannot come up with a positive slant to put on this change.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV will definitely give that a read tomorrow

@stickleback It could very well be move to dumb down the platform, making it more accessible to the masses (despite adwords express). This is seen in many things which have been around for ages, they tend towards less intricate and more simplicity for accessibilty purposes despite the feelings of current users. Money is king after all.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Yes - but there is a flaw in the logic.... those that spend the most on Adwords are also the most likely to be using skilled managers - thus being the ones most likely to be affected by these moves.

Will they spend less - probably not... but it does make alternative platforms that little bit more attractive...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Clynton M ; You took part in that discussion .. Smiley Surprised

For convenience, I copy / paste what wrote :

I think this  change is long overdue, and was confusing one, from the beginning.

When Google included "closed variants" in exact and phrase match, back then, it kept the option to opt out, for those who wished to continue and have a  "break down" of the variants,  listed separately.

That led  to a variety of strategies / best practices (whether to list all variants separately,  or to break-down, or a mix of the two) which was more confusing than helpful.

Now, Google comes  and says that  breaking down KWs into variants is complex,  (apparently)  does  not help  much, and makes campaign management harder to manage. So, it is removed. (>>"With this update, you no longer have to build exhaustive lists of misspelled, abbreviated, and other close variations of your keywords to get the coverage you want.")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, Haha! that is the thread you referring too Smiley Tongue.

so many things to keep track of.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I don't think the objective is to "dumb down" the platform.  This option was always quite well hidden so it's not as though it was responsible for cluttering the interface or forced upon users as a choice whenever they set up a new Campaign.  As noted, 97% of Campaigns use the default setting anyway.

Don't forget that there could be technical reasons for removing largely unused features.  The more complex a program, the more complex becomes support, development and processing; if a feature which has a big impact on how searches are matched is virtually unused (and I'd suggest that 3% approximates to "virtually unused"), removing it could have a substantial impact on processing performance.

As I've said elsewhere, part of the furore over this change is fuelled by misunderstanding of the change itself.  Many pundits are writing as though there was no option for excluding variants, or as though the default was to exclude them, rather than include them.  I've also seen people complain about the change only to have them be unable to provide an example of how they need to use the opt-out now.

Like Dave, none of my Accounts currently opt-out as close variants all provide positive performance.  For my Accounts it's more efficient to allow the variant matching and exclude the odd word or two that doesn't work by using negatives.  I have to say I suspect many users are currently excluding variants when they could benefit by allowing them...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It's not a massive deal but I wouldn't call it a positive change. For instance the keyword 'service' and 'services' I would argue that the meaning of the search query is changed when someone adds the 's' to the end of service. They may be looking for a number of different services and not just a singular one and so the landing pages could be different.