Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Text Ads vs Expanded Ads rotation and share

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Afternoon all,

Since the launch of ETAs we've been running both standard and ETAs within our accounts and now that the creation of standard ads is no longer supported we're looking to make a decision on whether to keep legacy standard ads in the account or not.

What we've found is that since mid November and with "rotate indefinitely" as the rotation setting the split between standard vs ETA has been pretty much 50:50. However, when you go to a device level in varies with Desktop slightly under 50%, tablet pretty even, and mobile slightly over 50%.

Capture.PNG

Is anyone seeing similar? Our worry is that without a standard ad we may not enter the auction for certain searches.

Thanks,

Will

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Text Ads vs Expanded Ads rotation and share

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... This is a question I was "struggling" with before I realized that this had been a theoretical question. And the reason is that the change is here, and the sooner it will be implemented the better So  IMHO you rather implement the change and migrate the "standard" ads into ETA the better.
My view...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

To best reason for setting ads to rotate evenly is that you will, once enough data is in, optimise your ads manually.

Even if they were served 60/40, as long as enough data has arrived, it shouldn't be a problem. Any new ads you create, to replace the poorest performing existing ads, will be ETA. 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

"Our worry is that without a standard ad we may not enter the auction for certain searches."

No. With rotate indefinitely you are just splitting your rotation between the active ads. Any auction you are not qualifying for means you are not accruing any impressions for those auctions, regardless of the ad.

For example - If your impression share is 50%, then you are missing half of the potential impressions. For the 50% of the auctions you qualify for, about half show a standard text ad, and about half show an expanded text ad.

Tom