Guide Me
star_border

Text Ads and Expanded Ads

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AdWords Experts,

I have a small question here and i have some concerns regard it.

Since AdWords will stop using text ads by 31 Jan 17, What if i had the 2 kind of ads in my ad groups? Will they work together or will they contradict ?
Or in other way, how will they perform?

Thanks Guys

3 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

My understanding is that Google is going to require all search ads (the 4 line text ads) to be converted to extended text format by Jan 31 2017.

I am wondering how that is going to work out myself, since there are billions of ads in the old formats running and conversion is a tedious, time-consuming process.  Perhaps someone "in the know" will enlighten us. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I am under the impression that Google will allow you to keep your normal text ads, but it won't let you create any more after next year. If they let you keep them, then Google should optimize the delivery of your ads and show the ones that are more likely to convert. I periodically add/update expanded text ads to be on top of the game in case they decide to just get rid of all normal text ads.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

@Dean E, tell me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure they already crossed that rubicon over a month back - you haven't been able to create regular (old format) text ad for some time now. 

My understanding is that ads must be converted to the new ETA format Jan 31 2017.  

It would be great to learn i misunderstood Google's policy.  I have been wondering how in the world it's going to happen.  

I know Google has people calling urging the conversion of ads on an expedited basis, i've had a couple of calls.  I kidded the guy how in the world are they going to get it done, he was dead serious. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Steve B, yeah, but I can still create normal text ads in the Adwords Editor and edit them online. I've just been slowly converting them over to ETA's in my down time and it's very tedious. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Re: Text Ads and Expanded Ads

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Hossam H@Dean E@Steve B

Straight from the horse's mouth:

>>"Starting January 31, 2017, AdWords will no longer support the creation or editing of standard text ads. New text ads generated after that date should use the expanded text ad format. Existing standard text ads will continue to serve past January 31, 2017.

After this date, you will only be able to create and edit expanded text ads. However, existing standard text ads will continue to serve alongside expanded text ads

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7048854?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

I seriously doubt Google will stop running ads in the old format - there would be too many accounts affected, and too much revenue at stake. When I do account audits, over half have not made any extended ads, and that's just people who have approached an agency. So I expect the majority of small accounts would be affected.

The most likely scenario is the inability to create or edit ads in the old format. And there's always the possibility that Google extends the deadline again.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @RobSkelton @MosheTLV @Dean E @Hossam H -- I learned something here.  I did not realize you can still create standard-format text ads in Google AdWords Editor.  

And Rob makes a compelling case, it just wouldn't make sense logically for Google to force the retirement of the old format.  I was told that by a (real) Google employee who called me, he was on a mission to get accounts upgraded.  

I may have misinterpreted Google's January 2017 deadline, as well.  So I learned several things from this one!

Re: Text Ads and Expanded Ads

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

There is certainly some great info in this thread regarding the subject of Expanded Text Ads. 

I wanted to add that you can actually create standard text ads with or without AdWords Editor. All you do is simply click to create a text ad, then once it opens, click on the switch back to standard text ads. 

eta.jpg

I am still making quite a lot of these and find they perform better and look better for certain situations. 

All the Best,

James

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Aha -- you guys are just full of surprises!  Now it turns out there is a secret way to make the old ad format from the WEB interface...

Very interesting.