AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Text Ads Being Served 84% of the time. Why?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

 

I'm currently running a keyword targeted display network only campaign where I have created image ads in all dimensions along with a couple text ads as well. Over the past few weeks adwords is telling me that my text ads have been served 84% of the time leaving the images to only be show the remaining 16%. I of course would rather those numbers to be the opposite. The average CPC I'm seeing for my image ads is anywhere between $ .20-$ .60 but my max is set at $1 so bidding shouldn't be the issue right? As of right now I have the image and text ads broken out into separate ad groups but I was thinking of taking that one step further and creating separate campaigns. Any advice on how to get my images the greater impression share would be great. Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Text Ads Being Served 84% of the time. Why?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Casey P;

Image ads are typically more expensive to bid compared to text ads. (The reason being that image ads, due to the size of the image ad,  occupy more ad slots than text ads).

I would recommend to separate image ads from text ad (in another ad group) and bid higher. 

The more "conservative" advertisers would go a step further, and separate the image ads into ad groups: one   of "large banners" and  (another) of small-medium banners, and would bid higher on the larger banners.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Text Ads Being Served 84% of the time. Why?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
To add to what Moshe said, I don't have any statistics handy but I think there are many websites out there showing text ads alone. And if the inventory targeted by your ads contains a large portion of text only slots, even if you bid higher for your image ads they just won't have the opportunity to show.

Have a look at the placements with the highest number of impressions. Do you see more text ads on those pages or more image ads?

Also, check your rotation settings. If you optimize for clicks and the text ads, by any chance, have a higher CTR, you'll need to switch to permanent rotation with no optimization
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.