Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Text Ad Only Ad Getting Impressions on Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

We're running a Display campaign targeting Managed Placements only. All of the publishers of these sites allow both animated and text ads.

I have uploaded ad creatives in every size Google uses, both animated (.swf) and static (.jpg). In spite of this, the single text ad I've added to this Display campaign gets 90%+ of the impressions.

Needless to say, it's impossible to get diversified ad-based impression/conversion data if we can't at least get something approaching a 50/50 impression split between the text ad and our creatives.

Anyone know why this is happening and if there is a way from within the UI to even this out?

Best,

AJ

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Text Ad Only Ad Getting Impressions on Display Network

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi AJ,

I can think of a scenario that may lead to this situation. If you're using CPA bids or if you've set the ad rotation to 'Optimise for conversions', text ad may be getting most of the impressions if it comparatively has more conversions than other image ads. I agree to your point that it wouldn't be an equal comparison, unless there's a 50/50 impression split, but this ad rotation setting changes it all. Segmenting by 'Conversion Name' within the ads tab would help you understand how many conversions each ad has received. Could you check that and let us know?

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wp F
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sumanth, and thanks,

The campaign is (was) indeed set to "Optimize for conversions".

I assumed that since there was no intra-campaign historical data to go off of, AdWords would show ad types more evenly at first so that its algorithms could establish objective baselines from which to truly optimize ad-type delivery as the data evolved.

Now that I look again, however, there is a "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize" option so I was clearly wrong.

I guess AdWords either, A.) generally assumes that this text ad will convert better on the Display network over the long term than will our Display creatives; or B.) is in possession of data garnered from other campaigns it deems as similar to ours that indicates the text ad will probably convert better for us over time... (?)

In any event, I've changed the setting to "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize" since in all other platforms the creatives do significantly better than text ads over the medium- and long-term.

Thanks again for the help!
AJ

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Glad I could help Smiley Happy

Have you checked if the text ad has more conversions than other image ads? In addition to reasons you've mentioned, it is quite possible that AdWords system is considering this data to show the text ad more number of times.

Good luck,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The text ad does have more conversions, yes. It has all the conversions, in fact.

The problem is (was) that there is no objective take-away to be had from that fact, because the text ad is for all intents and purposes the only ad type AdWords has shown.

Hopefully we can now garner some useful data with the settings change. Smiley Happy

Best,
AJ

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Thanks for the info, AJ!

Yes, you can expect more useful data with the change in ad rotation. Feel free to post your query on our community, in case you need help.

Cheers,
Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, I had thought that selecting "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize" would solve the problem, but the text ad is still getting nearly all the impressions.

It's been less than 24 hours since the settings were changed, however... Will the impression percentages eventually even out or should they be evened out already?

Best,

AJ

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi again AJ!

I'd wait for 24 hours for stats to be updated and then check if there's a difference.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wp F
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi AJ,

Everything Sumanth has said is correct but I wanted to chime in and note that most sites have more availability for text ad placements than images, even if they offer both. Consider this - there may be a block of three or more test ads on the page. In addition, they may have three image ad placements, all in different sizes. That means your text ad has 3+ opportunities to show while each if your image ads is competing for one space that is the correct size.

I generally like to put my text ads in separate campaigns so that I can cap the budget if I need to. That way u can ensure budget is available for my image ads, too. Image ads are sometimes more expensive so you may need to bid a bit higher there, too.

Plus, depending on where each of the text and image ad placeholders are on the page, you could likely find that your placements perform differently in the separate campaigns.

Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy and thanks for helping,

My apologies, I should have mentioned that one of the things adding to my confusion is that there are indeed zones on our Managed Placements dedicated to image-only, but no zones dedicated to text-only ads. The remaining zones not dedicated to image-only serve both: image and text ads.

I'll continue to monitor the campaign, maybe giving it another day or two. But if things don't appear to be reaching an equilibrium I really like the idea of splitting the text ad off into its own campaign as the solution.

Thanks again!
AJ