Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Testing an URL subdomain /domain

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello to everybody,

We created a new landing page which will serve us to do a test A/B for our upcoming campaigns. I would like to test it within a well performing campaign in Adwords to see how a page of our institutional website is performing against a subdomain. Can I have the same ad but three differnt URL in one ad group ? 1 URL would be the main domain versus sub.domain.org/a versus sub.domain.org/b. And I would choose the equal rotation for the ads.

Thanks for your answers and have a great day !

Kaci

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Kaci,

As per the AdWords policy 'one url per ad group' will restrict you to do this. Better create 3 ad groups with different url, so that you can do A/B testing.

For further reference on this policy, I have attached the article, Please follow.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6088505?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kat G,

I'll have to disagree with Sudeep P on this. Quote from the linked article:
"If your ad was disapproved, your ad group may have contained more than one top-level domain in your ads' display URLs or keyword URLs. "

All ads in an AdGroup must be to the same top-level domain. You are not restricted to 'one url per ad group'. Placing these thee different URL's in separate campaigns will  not give you accurate test results unless you set it up as an experiment. I believe experiments can only test 2 campaigns against each other.

Place all 3 ads in the same ad group, set equal rotation "forever", at least until you get enough data to analyze.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

It all depends on whether or not this is the same domain. If so, then like @petebardo said - It's no different than any other kind of final URL ad testing. If not, then as @Sudeep P said, you won't be able to test the URL's in the same adgroup.

Analytics content experiments may be another option. It's not AdWords exclusive, but may actually provide more accurate aggregate data.

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/how-to-run-an-ab-test-in-google-analytics/

Tom