Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Testing Ad Copy - Displaying Ads evenly on a mature account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We have a mature (8 years +) adwords account with lots of history and data, good kw scores etc. We are about to set up some advanced ad copy tests to improve CTR and conversion. However, all our campaigns contain hundreds of adgroups.

I want to test only in one or two of these adgroups PER campaign, but, it appears that I am forced to "show ads evenly" for the entire campaign, which will then start showing sub par ads on all my other adgroups.

Cant i choose to rotate evenly for just one adgroup? How do I solve this? Or must I go in and pause every single live ad that has stopped so far because Google rotation picked a winner? That will take some work indeed?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Aislinn (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Testing Ad Copy - Displaying Ads evenly on a mature account

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again snewton80,

It all depends upon how you have actually set the campaign experiements. The ad groups, ads which you are running for experimental basis are split up into what percentage like 50-50 split or something else. 

Based on this, your experiment will run and Adwords will provide you decision based data.

Once you stop your campaign, you can analyze the data and remember that you have the option to either implement all the changes or delete all the changes. For more please refer to this article.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi snewton80,

Welcome to the community.

Not exactly sure if this is what you're looking for but you could take a look at Campaign Experiments for this.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello snewton80,

Cant i choose to rotate evenly for just one adgroup? How do I solve this? 

Unfortunately Google Adwords doesn't have ad group level custom setings available, which could over ride the campaign settings.

But as Tom said, you might want to try Campaign Experiments and then take strategic decision based on the results.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Yes, I've seen ACE but thanks for the reminder, just one question, slightly separately on ACE that I haven't yet tried...

If you used ACE, for example, to pick 4 or 5 of your keywords and set up a specific ad for these keywords to try to measure the success of a closer ad copy/keyword marraige (like this - http://certifiedknowledge.org/blog/how-to-set-up-a-google-instant-experiment-for-adwords/ ) - How would you then take the successful experiement and place it into a new adgroup? Or would you have to, buy hand,separate out these keywords manually, write the ad again and add them to a new adgroup.

Example: I have an adgroup   "cheap London plumber" and my keywords are

cheap London plumber

budget london plumber

inexpensive london plumber

cheap Kensington London plumber

discount Kensington London plumber

inexpensive Kensington london plumber .... etc etc.

I know I can set up an ACE campaign to make sure the kensington keywords get a kensington ad (a split % of the time), once this is successful, can I extract that info to create a brand new adgroup? Or do I then manually ad one and pause the keywords within the first adgroup?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Aislinn (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again snewton80,

It all depends upon how you have actually set the campaign experiements. The ad groups, ads which you are running for experimental basis are split up into what percentage like 50-50 split or something else. 

Based on this, your experiment will run and Adwords will provide you decision based data.

Once you stop your campaign, you can analyze the data and remember that you have the option to either implement all the changes or delete all the changes. For more please refer to this article.

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

....which will then start showing sub par ads on all my other adgroups.

A side note:  I would suggest pausing or deleting any ads you consider "sub par" since there's no requirement to have more than one ad per Ad Group. Makes no sense to leave ads you'd prefer not to have showing active in a campaign.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*