AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Terrible ROI (Bad year or more) / Economy ? Employment ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, Adwords has been the best way for my residential cleaning company to target and add new clients consistently. Over the past year or more I've seen a huge dropoff. I use a company that created my website to do the adwords managing. They are based in Denver, Co and they may not have the same problems I'm having in Philadelphia, Pa. Anyway, we have been very frustrated and actually turning off our Adwords at times because our budget is being used up very quickly and we are not getting new jobs like in the past. Even more frustrating is that many calls are from people just looking for employment and using Google. Most of them are unemployable to say the least but calling none the less. We have also been hurt my unknown companies popping up out of the blue and offering our services for no profit on Coupon sites (ie. Groupon etc). I'm not in business to be responsible for 300 new clients who I will actually lose money on. And, those same people will usually only look for the next cheap deal and not use you again. Anyway, I'm looking for help. I see one of my competitors that is not a huge franchise always at the top of all keywords. I can't understand how they can afford to be there all day/night if they are also getting employment calls. We have been in biz over 13 years so any help with my residential/cleaning company would be greatly appreciated. I do see that some company's including the competitor I'm speaking about has put their phone number on the ad. Would that cut down employment call ? Help .... Thank you

If I should consider changes please let me know your thoughts / suggestions etc. WE need to turn this arround..

Regards,

Jodie Katz-Greco

United Maids of America

215 765-1458

866 976-MAIDS

http://www.unitedmaidsofamerica.com

email: unitedmaids@verizon.net

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Terrible ROI (Bad year or more) / Economy ? Employment ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jodie,

Ok, I just did a little more looking around. I have many more questions, comments and suggestions.  I'll apologize now for the long-winded response and please remember, this is just an honest critique with suggestions, there is absolutely no offense here, and I’ve only visited your site for the first time tonight. Smiley Happy

In my opinion, it's very important to try and evaluate the user experience.  I hate being the 'Google' quote guy but they have it right, "Since the beginning, we’ve focused on providing the best user experience possible." All of your online efforts should revolve around this concept as well.

The Website

This is one area where you could potentially make some great improvements and also which leads right into some further ideas about your existing Adwords strategies.

First, I paused the music on every page I visited and then turned the sound off on my computer.  My personal opinion, it doesn’t add any value to your site or to the user experience.  Cool, at one point sure, needed and beneficial, probably not. There is even potential that it could be hurting you. 

Ok, now, I'm at your homepage, which is also your landing page.  What should I do? (I'll address this in a bit later on) Ok, you're presenting your phone number immediately and "We Want You To Contact Us!".  Why can't I click on that image and end up at your contact us page/email form?  Sometimes it's the little things that can make a difference. 

I'm not ready to call yet, I'm going to look for more information.  Great, you're promoting Residential and Commercial services, perfect, two main customer bases you provide services for.  Again, I can't click on any of the headings, page copy or pictures.  This is not very user friendly.

Then you have your menu along the left side.  Privacy Policy is too prominent (and the page is blank), should probably be in a footer or last on this list. Management could be called 'About Us'.  I thought for a minute that you might provide property management services too.  

You have Specials but they are buried in what looked to me like an ad slot.  I try and have specials stand out immediately on a page, if not at the very top, definitely above the fold.  

Home and Contact Us, must have those, which leads me to the last four items:  Residential, Commercial, Special Green, Online Price Estimator, my suggested areas of focus for your advertising.  

I'm not going to go through every page and give my opinion and experience; I guess my point is that there is definitely room for improvement on your site. Having a website is great and vital in today's world but, it's also very important to make sure that it's serving the message you want it to.

Adwords Account

First thing you have to be able to do is set a strategy. What constitutes a conversion? How am I determining ROI? It appears that you are using your website homepage as your landing page for your ads. Are you purposely promoting calls as your main line of communication? If you are, and you use the same phone number everywhere, you're going to have a very difficult time realizing a true ROI on your Adwords spend.  I noticed conversion tracking on your contact page but I think you can take that a step further.

Based on the searches I ran, quickly viewing your website and reading your feedback, I would try to take your account to a more granular level and promote more specific services and products beyond what you are currently doing.

Residential

Commercial

Eco-Friendly 

Set up specific campaigns for Residential and Commercial services and go from there.  This way you can have ads that are more tailored to the search queries that they are being matched for.  Also, you could then set up separate landing pages for each of these categories, outlining why you're better than the rest and at a minimum providing two immediate methods of contact (Phone and Lead Form). You can also track conversions upon completion of each landing page form for more specific conversion tracking.  This way, the user has calls to action immediately upon clicking on an ad and they don't have to go any further to find relevant information related to what they searched for. There should be no doubt in the customers mind what you’re offering and what you want them to do.  Call now for your free quote.  Fill out this quick form.  Force them to take action. 

I would also set up Special Green as a separate campaign but also promote it on each landing page - "We're Eco-Friendly" it's simple but it's a great selling point.  Also include a separate landing page for this campaign focusing on the Eco-Products with separate contact form and conversion tracking.   

Another thought, the pricing estimator is a great idea, that application could be fancied up a bit and you could also promote that in ads and on landing pages.  "Free Online Estimates"

To Summarize, your Adwords account should match your service offerings and the page immediately following a click should provide everything a potential customer would need to know to make an instant decision.  Promote your services to the people who want them, the more granular you can get, the better off you'll be.  Set up specific ads and landing pages for your services.  These are key ingredients in the relevancy of your account.

By increasing relevancy, evolving to a more specific account and by livening up your ads and landing pages, you should see more relevancy, better impressions, higher CTRs, be able to track more conversions.  The better your account performs, the less you have to pay. 

Wow…sometimes that happens when I get going.  Again, please take these words as just some guidance.  I basically gave you here what I would give any client, my true honest opinion.  I believe that with a little work and some time, you too could find great success using Adwords.

P.S. I see that you have over 1400 likes, I hope you’re working this crowd in some manner. Also, try adding in +1 buttons too, Google likes that...not that it will help your ads rank but organically, it's good for the site. You also seem to have received a number of great reviews online, promote those as well.  Links to review sites show confidence and allow customers to view these testimonials.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author unitedmaids
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jodie,

You're very welcome.

I hate to avoid answering your question directly as we're not here to 'self-promote' but there are numerous folks here who do indeed do perform these tasks for a living.  if you happen to click on some people's pictures/profiles here, you'll often find out more about them and perhaps contact information as well.

Also for Adwords specific help you can always use the Certified Partner Search

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jodie,

First, I can understand your frustrations.

I can tell you that I just ran a quick search for maid service in Philadelphia from Massachusetts and your places page was in the #1 organic spot, with Google ratings, address and phone number.  You also had the 5th paid text ad slot and again had a nice looking ad with your address and other ratings listed.

Here are a couple of thoughts I have for you.

Calls to your business regardless of the intent of the call, unless you are tracking them using a call tracking service, should not be costing you anything.

The ad I noticed had your company name as the headline.  Not that there is anything wrong with that and there are hopefully/probably more ads running with different variations of text but maybe you could try something more local by adding in Philadelphia.  

In a tough market and economy, sometimes offering a special in your ads or on your landing pages may help. 10% off first time customers - You know your business and what would and would not work. But from a potential customer perspective, a little incentive to click can go a long way and a higher CTR will decrease your costs in the long run.  

Good Luck!

-Tom

EDIT:  This Wiki is a great read about overcoming the odds in Adwords.  Also read the initial thread, specifically AdWisers (Calin) posted response that inspired the Wiki article.  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jodie,

Ok, I just did a little more looking around. I have many more questions, comments and suggestions.  I'll apologize now for the long-winded response and please remember, this is just an honest critique with suggestions, there is absolutely no offense here, and I’ve only visited your site for the first time tonight. Smiley Happy

In my opinion, it's very important to try and evaluate the user experience.  I hate being the 'Google' quote guy but they have it right, "Since the beginning, we’ve focused on providing the best user experience possible." All of your online efforts should revolve around this concept as well.

The Website

This is one area where you could potentially make some great improvements and also which leads right into some further ideas about your existing Adwords strategies.

First, I paused the music on every page I visited and then turned the sound off on my computer.  My personal opinion, it doesn’t add any value to your site or to the user experience.  Cool, at one point sure, needed and beneficial, probably not. There is even potential that it could be hurting you. 

Ok, now, I'm at your homepage, which is also your landing page.  What should I do? (I'll address this in a bit later on) Ok, you're presenting your phone number immediately and "We Want You To Contact Us!".  Why can't I click on that image and end up at your contact us page/email form?  Sometimes it's the little things that can make a difference. 

I'm not ready to call yet, I'm going to look for more information.  Great, you're promoting Residential and Commercial services, perfect, two main customer bases you provide services for.  Again, I can't click on any of the headings, page copy or pictures.  This is not very user friendly.

Then you have your menu along the left side.  Privacy Policy is too prominent (and the page is blank), should probably be in a footer or last on this list. Management could be called 'About Us'.  I thought for a minute that you might provide property management services too.  

You have Specials but they are buried in what looked to me like an ad slot.  I try and have specials stand out immediately on a page, if not at the very top, definitely above the fold.  

Home and Contact Us, must have those, which leads me to the last four items:  Residential, Commercial, Special Green, Online Price Estimator, my suggested areas of focus for your advertising.  

I'm not going to go through every page and give my opinion and experience; I guess my point is that there is definitely room for improvement on your site. Having a website is great and vital in today's world but, it's also very important to make sure that it's serving the message you want it to.

Adwords Account

First thing you have to be able to do is set a strategy. What constitutes a conversion? How am I determining ROI? It appears that you are using your website homepage as your landing page for your ads. Are you purposely promoting calls as your main line of communication? If you are, and you use the same phone number everywhere, you're going to have a very difficult time realizing a true ROI on your Adwords spend.  I noticed conversion tracking on your contact page but I think you can take that a step further.

Based on the searches I ran, quickly viewing your website and reading your feedback, I would try to take your account to a more granular level and promote more specific services and products beyond what you are currently doing.

Residential

Commercial

Eco-Friendly 

Set up specific campaigns for Residential and Commercial services and go from there.  This way you can have ads that are more tailored to the search queries that they are being matched for.  Also, you could then set up separate landing pages for each of these categories, outlining why you're better than the rest and at a minimum providing two immediate methods of contact (Phone and Lead Form). You can also track conversions upon completion of each landing page form for more specific conversion tracking.  This way, the user has calls to action immediately upon clicking on an ad and they don't have to go any further to find relevant information related to what they searched for. There should be no doubt in the customers mind what you’re offering and what you want them to do.  Call now for your free quote.  Fill out this quick form.  Force them to take action. 

I would also set up Special Green as a separate campaign but also promote it on each landing page - "We're Eco-Friendly" it's simple but it's a great selling point.  Also include a separate landing page for this campaign focusing on the Eco-Products with separate contact form and conversion tracking.   

Another thought, the pricing estimator is a great idea, that application could be fancied up a bit and you could also promote that in ads and on landing pages.  "Free Online Estimates"

To Summarize, your Adwords account should match your service offerings and the page immediately following a click should provide everything a potential customer would need to know to make an instant decision.  Promote your services to the people who want them, the more granular you can get, the better off you'll be.  Set up specific ads and landing pages for your services.  These are key ingredients in the relevancy of your account.

By increasing relevancy, evolving to a more specific account and by livening up your ads and landing pages, you should see more relevancy, better impressions, higher CTRs, be able to track more conversions.  The better your account performs, the less you have to pay. 

Wow…sometimes that happens when I get going.  Again, please take these words as just some guidance.  I basically gave you here what I would give any client, my true honest opinion.  I believe that with a little work and some time, you too could find great success using Adwords.

P.S. I see that you have over 1400 likes, I hope you’re working this crowd in some manner. Also, try adding in +1 buttons too, Google likes that...not that it will help your ads rank but organically, it's good for the site. You also seem to have received a number of great reviews online, promote those as well.  Links to review sites show confidence and allow customers to view these testimonials.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Jodie.

First of all, hats off to Tom, for getting so deep into the review.

I'll only try to put more emphasis on what he told you.

• You need a new, post 2010-ish website. You're promoting cleanliness. Your website should ooze cleanliness.
  • The dropoff. How did your AdWords account evolve? Do you get the same clicks as before, in roughly the same position, for about the same price, or can you clearly see, for instance less clicks, lower position, higher costs?

If there's a drop in AdWords performance, then you can maybe gain some extra contracts by working on the AdWords account. If it performs roughly the same, it means that you have to work on that website, as it either no longer inspires trust, or the competition has stepped up.

Here are some clean websites in the cleaning business:

http://www.merrymaids.com/

http://www.mollymaid.com/

Nowadays, creating a nice, good-looking wordpress (you don't need bigger CMS solutions such as Drupal, which merrymaids uses, and wordpress is easy to install and maintain) website, with a clean theme, and filling it up with content should not be such a big deal.

Obviously, the biggest change should come by doing both.

Good luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Tom..

Thank you very much for the in depth opionions and suggestions. As I mentioned, I've had the website design company doing the Google Ad Words campaign but they seem to be slow to make changes, corrections and additions. I'm a little concernced and may look to go in another direction regarding both and your suggestions are great. You mentioned having a seperate landing page for our commercial division and Eco friendly one too but I believe the reason we stopped doing this was because the cost was really too high. Commercial cleaning prices per click really did not show any results and became very expensive. Adwords seem to work (when working ) residentially but its more effective to get commercial contracts in other ways.

The link for Privacy Page was not even on our website a few weeks ago. I had some changes made and they changed the enitre homepage and replaced things that were there and looked good. I'm almost ready to hire someone else to run my campaign and/or create a website that will work in a way that you stated. I"m not a pro at doing these things and it's easier for me to have someone else run this part of my business. Do you offer this service or know someone who could get me where I need to be ? I'm open to any suggestions withing reason financially...

Sorry I'm in a bit of a rush but I'll write more or get back later.. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jodie Katz-Greco

215 765-1458

alt email: unitedmaids@verizon.net

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author unitedmaids
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jodie,

You're very welcome.

I hate to avoid answering your question directly as we're not here to 'self-promote' but there are numerous folks here who do indeed do perform these tasks for a living.  if you happen to click on some people's pictures/profiles here, you'll often find out more about them and perhaps contact information as well.

Also for Adwords specific help you can always use the Certified Partner Search

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
Jodie, Tom's advice and guidance is spot on.
Good luck with finding a partner that will suit your needs. This will not be hard.
Wishing you prosperous business with AdWords.
Please do come back to let us know how you are progressing.
Cheers,
E
Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great advice, Tom... Ive been extremely busy the past week or so. I will check things out and appreciate your help. Jodie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I have noticed a sharp decline in ROI (ie Actual Income vs adwords cost) from 70% to 41%

I wonder if someone is clicking on the ads just to eat up my budget!

How can I find whether this is happening?

Regards

Stephen Blacktop

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Stephen,

You may want to start a new thread so you can receive more response.  Sometimes add-on posts get buried under the newer stuff.

-Tom