AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Targeting the Sites We Want On The Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We offer WordPress speed/performance optimization services. On the display network, we are targeting by Keyword ("WordPress") and Topics. We are not retargeting or targeting by interest.

Being an extremely niche service, there are very specific sites (sites using AdSense, the nature of which specifically having to do to with WordPress) that we need to have our display ads appear on.

The problem is that A.) not one of these WordPress-specific sites appears to be available for placement on the display network; and B.) if we choose to "Bid Only" (as opposed to "Target and Bid"), our ads still never appear on these sites, but do appear on sites and pages that aren't even in the same contextual cosmos as WordPress, even though we're targeting by that keyword, and targeting only topics logically related to WordPress.

So, I suppose the questions are these:

1.) How can I get our Display ads on these specific sites?

2.) Why, as but one example, is Google serving our ads on YouTube videos about football when this has nothing to do with our targeting selections, but is not serving our ads on sites/pages specifically about WordPress?

Many thanks,

AJ

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wp F
September 2015

Re: Targeting the Sites We Want On The Display Network

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 11
Rising Star

Hi Aj,

Then that solves your problem even faster now.

All you need to do is, go to placements under the Display Network tab for a campaign. Click on '+Targeting', then select an adgroup within the campaign where you want to target specific placements.

Next step is to ensure you are running with only 'Placements' as the targeting and not any others. If you were using 'Keywords' as your default targeting then you may have to create a new adgroup first then add placements to that adgroup.

After this, you can click on 'Add Targeting' option, choose 'Placements' then when the dialog box opens, choose the 'Add Multiple Placements' Options at the bottom of the box.

Display1.png

Once you click on the link you will get a pop up text box where you can copy paste all of you desired placements in one go. The pre requisite here obviously is that you need to have the list of placements ready at your end and the assurance that they are part of the AdSense program.

Display 2.png

Once you do this and save the targeting in your adgroup, you can start targeting managed placements in your campaigns.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wp F
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 13
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
1. Yes, that is true. On all pages across domains.
2. Yes, to the level of specific page.
3. Correct - you specify exact page and your ads are shown only there.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,
1. If you target both with keywords and topics then you get really narrow niche and through that you lose this sites you want to target.
Why you don`t target sites with placement? With that you get your ads only on specific sites or web pages.
2. If you target keywords placement you added Youtube channels and some of that channels have videos about Wordpress, or description of video is "this video can be fount at BESTVIDEO.WORDPRESS.COM.
My thoughts.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi WP,
Drazen is right, In addition to what Drazen said, you can also exclude the placements, which you think, is irrelevant.
You can also ads some negative keywords like :- "football" in your campaign, so that your ads stops appearing on such types of content. Because the youtube video are you referring might contains both type of keywords "football" and "wordpress"
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Great advice from Drazen and Rakesh. Thank you both.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, thanks so much for your time,

Hi Mini.

@Drazen,

Re: 1:
The targeting selections we've made should be drawing-in relevant webpages and the sites we want, not excluding them.

We are using placements (sorry, should have mentioned that). But the placements listed as available (Display Network --> Targeting --> Placements --> Search for placement ideas --> Enter a word, phrase, or website) are a very distant second best to the very specific AdSense sites we'd like to see our display ads on. These specific sites do not populate as an option for placement. I would like to know if there is a way to get our ads on these sites.

Re: 2:
In the example I provided, there is literally nothing about the video that was in any way related to WordPress, blogging, websites, or anything that enters the logical or contextual orbit thereof.

In fact, if we choose "Bid Only" for anything, these sorts of irrelevant impressions (and therefore clicks) constitute the overwhelming majority of the traffic we are sent.

This, of course re-begs the question as to why, when Google is allowed to determine additional targeting method relevance, i.e. "Bid Only", the traffic sent is entirely untargeted. Especially considering that there are impressions that ought to be being served on sites and pages -- including the specific, directly relevant sites and pages we'd like to see our ads on -- that are more relevant, on orders of magnitude, than the impressions we do receive on the sites and pages on which we do receive them.

@Rakesh,

There must be a way to exclude irrelevant impressions (and therefore clicks) that precedes having to pay for clicks from webpages that have nothing to do with our targeting selections and then excluding said placements... no?

I thought this was done via targeting... The problem, it seems, is that as soon as we choose "Bid only" for anything, none of our targeting methods matter: We no longer get impressions on any of our placements, our topic targeting is ignored, and we get traffic from YouTube videos about football, the nature of which in no way relates to our targeting.

The both of you have given reasonable replies. I thank you again.

The problem, however, is that these replies are predicated on the idea that AdWords is doing what I am telling it to do, and it just isn't if/when I allow AdWords to determine additional relevance (i.e. "Bid only): I don't know if it's algorithmic or what, but something is really off. The connections AdWords is making aren't even 'broad'. Google could add an 'ARROYO' match type and the pages from which we are getting clicks when using "Bid Only" wouldn't even match that lol.

To top all this off (and to make it triply irritating), after having performed an audit of these clicks they all came from sites and pages that most adept people would recognize as being highly prone to accidental ad clicks. Further evidenced by the instantaneous bounce we get from them. None of the clicks from the placements we have specifically chosen exhibit this behavior.

Does anyone know how to place our display ads on the specific sites we want given that they are not available in the AdWords UI as placements? is this possible?

Thanks again,
AJ

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi AJ,

First thing I suggest that you should change is, to change your targeting from 'Bid Only' to 'Target and Bid'.

If you are running just one layer/level of targeting (e.g. - Keyword contextual targeting), then you bidding strategy should always be on 'Target & Bid' & if you are using multiple layers/levels of targeting (e.g. - Keyword Contextual targeting with ICM/Topic), then you need to keep one targeting on 'Target & Bid' (Contextual targeting as per the example) & the other on 'Bid Only' (ICM/Topic in the case of the example).

This sort of targeting tells AdWords that you wish to show your ads on everything that falls under 'Target & Bid' settings, and the intersection of the placements that fall under both 'Target & Bid' & 'Bid Only' Criteria will use a specific bid that you set to enter the ad auction.

Also, I would like to address one issue here. When you say "To top all this off (and to make it triply irritating), after having performed an audit of these clicks they all came from sites and pages that most adept people would recognize as being highly prone to accidental ad clicks. Further evidenced by the instantaneous bounce we get from them. None of the clicks from the placements we have specifically chosen exhibit this behavior."

When you say this I am assuming that you have checked the credibility of the clicks here. Usually such a case occurs because you are targeting all the devices in your campaigns. Have you checked if you are targeting just 'Desktops' & 'Tablets' or are you targeting 'Mobile' as well?

Clicks from Mobile devices usually are the ones that can be categorized as 'Accidental Clicks' in nature. If you negate 'Mobiles' from your campaigns, you may end up saving a lot of money and it may also help you divert that traffic towards the 'Desktop' & 'Tablet' users.

I am sure you must be aware of this but as a precaution just wanted to let you know that you can do a device level bid modification of -100% for Mobiles in your Display Campaigns to achieve this.

Also, another thing that I think you should do is, for the Display campaigns, do a category level exclusion of all the placement types/categories that you think are not at all relevant to your themes or if you wish never to show up on such placement types. This can be achieved by scrolling down on your 'Display Network' tab in your display campaign. Just select the categories and you will be able to negate them from your campaigns.

In the end, I would like to suggest that if you are advertising on AdWords for a Niche product, you should always stick to 'Search' Campaigns. I have ran Display campaigns for niche products in the past with vast budgets in my hand but these campaigns never reaped the same results as the Search counterparts.

Since the intent on the Search & Display network differ totally, for a niche product, you would be better off targeting users who are actively looking for you and not the other way around where you are trying to find a relevant user.

I would love to hear the thoughts on other on community on this.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Shashank, very helpful, thank you!

We are, in fact, only using "Target and Bid" -- the instances in which I attempted "Bid Only" were basically experiments to see if I could draw-in relevant sites of which I was unaware, as well as the specific sites we have in mind as Managed Placements that are not available as Managed Placements (Display Network --> Targeting --> Placements --> Search for placement ideas --> Enter a word, phrase, or website). We are also doing active bid adjustments on Mobiles (-100%). That we cannot exclude tablets in a similar manner given that click behavior thereon lies somewhere between that of mobiles and desktops is... an annoyance, but also another matter--I digress. We are also doing all sorts of exclusions. Even with all of this targeting, the traffic that is sent by way of Display is extremely poor.

The fix, I am certain, would be to have the ability to add, as Managed Placements, the very specific, WordPress-focused sites we know our customer base hangs out on. Alas, it does not appear to be possible to add them. At least not via the AdWords UI... To emphasize my over-arching point, I just don't understand why--given our targeting--precisely none of these specific, WordPress-focused sites are drawn-into the Venn 'sweet spot': They should be, even though we are not, since we cannot, select them as Managed Placements.

Anyway, one item and a question:
Item: My primary take-away from your post is that some campaigns simply are not suited to Display. The irony, I think, is that our campaign very well could be; but, Display is A.) simply not granular enough; and B.) AdWords is simply not algorithmically 'smart' enough.

Question: Is it somehow possible to add, as Managed Placements, sites that do not populate as available for Managed Placements? If, for example, I were to call-in and ask for these specific sites?

Many thanks,
AJ

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Aj,

I am glad I could help you out.

Based on the info you just gave us here. I would suggest you to test two avenues here:

1) User Based Targeting - ICM/Topics
2) Reservation Buys on your relevant placements ( if possible)

User Based Targeting:

This will help you reach out to users who fall under your targeting criteria. Right now from what I understand, you may be only running Keyword Contextual Targeting and may some level of layering with Keywords. I would suggest you do just ICM & Topic and see if it helps you record relevant traffic.

If you are already doing this in separate campaigns (very important that you not use layering here) then well and good. Otherwise, this would be your next logical step.

2) Reservation Buy

If your relevant placements are not part of the AdSense program, then no matter what you do, your ads are not going to show up there. I suggest, you check with a Reservation buy/Display Marketing team to check if you can target the same with their help.

This can help you show ads only on those placements and target your most relevant audience.

I would still say that Search Campaigns can be your savior here and would suggest you give them a try for sure.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you want to advertise to some specific site that is not in Adsense network you can contact owner directly and make a deal for banners.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, guys, there seems to be some confusion. The sites we want to advertise on are part of the AdSense network of publishers, but do not show up as available for Managed Placement when typing in the specific URLs (Display Network --> Targeting --> Placements --> Search for placement ideas --> Enter a word, phrase, or website).

Should any and every AdSense publisher be available here...? If so, our UI is broken. Smiley Wink

Thanks again,

AJ